Challenge #640 Voting CLOSED

This week’s theme: Almost …

Challenge #640

Pure Entries

Ryeath
Almost…
/uploads/default/original/4X/4/b/d/4bdf6585701c5ccae229f66ffd48e595b9673835.jpgstc=1&thumb=1&d=1443196089

fcharr
4:59
/uploads/default/original/4X/0/9/3/093b4f8c5d0eb47d78a8b7f13f1715b1a344eb41.pngd=1443390053&thumb=1

GPS14
creativity Vs reality
/uploads/default/original/4X/1/9/3/1930297e19d8851f3fbda422368383e2f0f83e7e.jpgd=1443339276&thumb=1

3dnotguru
almost past the cat
/uploads/default/original/4X/9/4/b/94b3a965e17928e90078ee704c2e6f3d0350d21c.jpgd=1443356436&thumb=1

riez
Almost Hit
/uploads/default/original/4X/d/7/7/d775bdf00c581359ad3fa7dec7b7d855e5f4dd2e.jpgd=1443401639&thumb=1

MonkeYceBear
Puzzled
/uploads/default/original/4X/5/9/b/59bf718ac920e8c1b3923e55921cdc58c9885b47.jpgd=1443441792&thumb=1

Orchidaceae
Imperfect Calibration
/uploads/default/original/4X/0/f/4/0f4e7bee76e7932142e2dde7708fd428ea773c17.jpgd=1443462597&thumb=1

Non-competing Entries

RobertT
Asymptotic Approximations
http://www.artofinterpretation.com/images3/wc640-AsymptoticApproximations-byrjt2015.jpg

@GPS14: i really like your idea, good imagination :slight_smile:

Thanks Riez. I had drawn this house and had been wanting to make it for a long time, so when I heard the theme I thought that this might work.

Ryeath: It took a moment for me to realize what this picture is about as I don’t ever watch sports. Cool idea. Underexposed and the scale of the grass seems off. Depth of field would’ve been good addition imo.
fcharr: Wall looks so empty. Anyway good quality and ok idea.
GPS14: Excellent image. Very pleasing to look at. I like the colors and the detail. But I don’t see the “almost”-thing in it.
3dnotguru: I love this idea. But the scene layout and lack of blood/hair stain doesn’t make it immediately obvious.
riez: This gives me the most almost-feelings thus I voted this one. Although the deer could look more terrified. I love the animal in the background. Little does he care about the ongoing hunt.
MonkeYceBear: Depth of field too strong, box too thick, lacks detail. But materials and colors and lighting and the puzzle are nice.
my works: Darts touch eachother in nasty ways. Should have depth of field. Color saturation is a tad too low. Maybe a tiny SSS for dart fins. Camera angle could be better aswell.

@3dnotguru you literaly took the last weekend’s project and put an image of a cat on it. Seriously?

He parodied someone else’s last weekend’s project. I lol’d. Not everything needs to be serious.

In retrospect, I should have added some shadows to the wall, like my areal lamp was a window, and there would be cubicles and furniture in between. The bull’s eye idea crossed my mind as well. I would have placed it on a wall, and used fewer darts, maybe 4 or 5, one of them would have been very close to the center.

@eyalmu
Literally I didn’t. I have remade the whole scene and used Helge’s image as displace modifier for cheese. The cat is not an image it has been modeled and rendered.
I have redone Helge’s great entry from last week for two reasons:

1. to find out if i can get close to the Helge’s blendering skills then treat this entry like “almost” as good as Helge’s last week entry
  2. to make a joke that a mouse “almost” past the cat.
    Helge could you share the cheese material node setup, please? I have used mix of glossy and sss but it dont look natural.

I still think it’s kinda copy of the scene. Maybe next week I will use the same scene but instead of cat I will pick a dog. It doesn’t matter if I did the scene alone, it’s still copying. You don’t want anyone to take your artwork and change it a little bit for their entry.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Personally I thought it was a response or follow on, which fitted the theme… I even felt for the mouse who got the cheese and almost got away with it, but did the mouse get away and the cat almost catch it? Us mice love our cheese though, so it maybe time for sniffles but at least little squeeker went doing what they loved… RIP (Rest In Paneer)

Absolutely nothing wrong with copying in my twisted world view. Copying is alright

thank Orchidaceae for your voting, actually I’m not focused on animals in the background , it is only for filling the void alone:o

If you ask me, there is nothing wrong with submitting a parody. And in order to make any parody work, the original needs to be recognizable in some way. Just copying the rendered original image and doing some retouch might be a little cheap, but rebuilding the entire scene yourself and adding a new twist to it is a very valid approach. As in this case, once the additions reach a certain level of creativity/originality [I’m having a little trouble finding the right word here - I would have said ‘Schöpfungshöhe’ in German] the image can definitely be considered a unique work/entry.

So, if you’d like to add a dog to the scene, place the cat within the cheese, transplant the mouse into the cat and call it “Mouse & Cat - Almost past the dog” - just go for it! I’m sure 3dnotguru wouldn’t mind. I certainly don’t :slight_smile:

Maybe I would feel slightly different about this if both entries were submitted the same week, as coming up with the idea and composition takes time, too. But then again, everyone who votes is free to base the choice on whatever they feel is important - just like we do it with pure and open entries. And usually, this works very well.

Actually, the first of 3dnotguru’s three votes (so far) came from me. I would have voted for riez’s entry but the cat made me laugh so much, I just had to give it a vote.

Apart from that, it is nice to be present in this weeks competition without even submitting an entry :slight_smile:

@3dnotguru: Regarding the material setup:
I used two materials for the cheese (inside/outside). After playing around with it for a while, I simply went with fairly simple diffuse/glossy mix materials. I think the most important part is using “Layer Weight”-nodes (or something similar) in order to control the mix factor. The outer material also has a little translucency added to it. I really like to do this when real SSS isn’t necessary and would increase render times to much.

Inner:

Outer:

Thanks for the node setup Helge. I fiddled around with it and got this. It looks like some sort of metal when you animate it.

@GPS14 if you add the bread, maybe i would feel more hungry, 'cause is it very nice.
And i am also interested to make it:D

@Helge thank for fun a theme, i really enjoy it:D.

Bread?
I don’t understand.:confused:

Bread and cheese very tasty:p

Yes, but do you want me to make some and show you the node setup? I don’t make bread. Too complex.:stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s my bread node setup:

:stuck_out_tongue:

@Helge thank for fun a theme, i really enjoy it:D.

Yeah, good theme. Maybe I should pick “nearly” for next week’s theme.:stuck_out_tongue:

And… The winner of Weekend Challenge 640 with over 46% of the votes… is… GPS14!

Here’s to all the great participators…

Ryeath : 1 : 3.85%
fcharr : 0 : 0%
<b>GPS14 : 12 : 46.15%</b>
3dnotguru : 3 : 11.54%
riez : 5 : 19.23%
MonkeYceBear : 2 : 7.69%
Orchidaceae : 3 : 11.54%

/uploads/default/original/4X/1/9/3/1930297e19d8851f3fbda422368383e2f0f83e7e.jpgd=1443339276&thumb=1

creativity Vs reality