GTA IV and V model import plugin [CODING MENTOR requested]

Hello, Blenderartists,

I’d like to tell you about a project i’d like to start and help i need with.

My dream is to write a import and export plugin for GTA 4 and 5 models for purpose of PC modifications, because i’m fascinated by the possibilities of expanding the game world of GTA. Many people have already created beautiful and fun modifications for these games, but i haven’t seen anyone using Blender yet.

So i tried other software first, but stumbled across some obstacles…

In case of 3DS Max, there are GIMS Plugins, (made by 3Doomer from scratch, hat off) available for, but they only seem to work with 3DS Max 2012, the trial of which is only avaiable on shady sites or not available at all. Autodesk also do not offer retail licenses of this version anymore.

In case of ZModeler, GTA IV and V require two separate ZModeler versions and two separate renewable licenses, not to mention, that its interface and possibilities are somewhat extravagant and, for example, doesn’t support keyboard shortcuts and have no render engine. I still appreciate the effort of Oleg, its creator, but think, that it could be done a bit more, if the software was Open Source.

As previously, i became accustomed with possibilities of Blender, i desperately searched for solutions for importing game files and stumbled on SparkIV editor tool, which offers a possibility to convert meshes to Valve SMD, thus allowing me to import the meshes with Blender Source Tools. (My respect to Aru, creator of SparkIV)

For importing GTA V cars, i found a handy WFT/XFT to DFF tool (made by DK22Pac), which allowed me to export GTA 5 geometries to Renderware DFF, which i could import with Maxorators Renderware import plugin.

Well, so far the imports of geometries were done, but there is still a question, how to export the modified meshes back to GTA 5 native file format, the XFT. Right at the moment, there is no way past ZModeler 3, and if i had previously extracted the geometries, i had to clutter them back together, then import in ZModeler, assign properties in it, etc.

This sounds far too adventurous for a guy who just wants to edit a spoiler away from a car. It scares him off.

There must be a easier way to do that. I just don’t know where to start.

My coding knowledge limits to CScript, a WinCC scripting language used in PLC, so the basics, like boolean algebra, structure, variables are somewhat covered.

I asked GooD-NTS for help, the developer of OpenIV, a great viewer and texture/audio/script editing tool, a main pillar of GTA 5 modding, one of infamous developers, among AlexanderBlade, who tried to develop a alternative, cheatfree Multiplayer mode for GTA 5 (and were banned and restricted from all purchased Rockstar titles for that by Rockstar, including the legitimately purchased GTA 5 copies, because it “might promote piracy” and hurt “GTA Online experience for other players”)
So yeah, i asked him for help - he said, he could help out with advices, if the plugin for Blender would support OpenFormats. I think it’s not that bad of a offer, but my coding knowledge is still insufficient, also the guys are still away from editing the skeletons and animations.

So i’d like to ask you for help with creating a Import and Export plugin for Blender 2.6. I’m eager to learn.

1 Like