Cycles for Blender 2.8 - User feedback.

Cycles developers and module members currently debate about development plan for 2.8 branch. Discussion on tracker concern mostly technical things and is only for those strictly involved in development. Reason for this is to avoid flood of random requests and comments, which is vital for good communication. I made this thread for us, cycles users to discuss about those plans, post ideas. Developers are welcome too, if they have time. :wink:

Developers discussion:
http://developer.blender.org/T46258
(Please. Donā€™t post your ideas/request/feedback/questions there. That topic is dedicated only for them for purpose.)

CUDA kernel split and more love to built in procedural textures please me the most. Iā€™m concerned about Bake status. For now nobody, even Dalai, mention anything about it. :frowning:

Ah it is a technical read indeedā€¦ to me the important missing bits are :

1. rendertime subdivision and displacement (it was in the old mental ray like ten years ago, although I suspect the problem is completely different here)
  2. more procedural textures (there were so many back in the day in 3dsmax you could create anything from them, almost completely avoiding bitmaps)

Other than that Iā€™m happy.

edit I donā€™t really understand what the CUDA kernel split is supposed to bring ?

Cycles on GPU for AMD cards, slower renders for Nvidia usersā€¦

Hadriscus- Kernel-split will bring better stability and faster rendering. Currently instructions to GPU are send in form of single complex CUDA program(Kernel). Because of todays GPUs parallel architecture its better to split this program to smaller parts (Kernels).

BrilliantApe- Actually when they finish kernel split both for OpenCL and CUDA we will see significant speedup on Nvidia cards.

I see thanks. As I understand it the OpenCL kernel split already happened (or is in progress) and allows Cycles to compile and work with AMD cards - now this is also happening for Nvidia cards (although they did work already) ? Does that mean they are maintaining two different ā€œversionsā€ of cycles, one for AMD and another for Nvidia ?

I sincerely hope so, the new BMW benchmark has gone from 2:06 to 2:18 for me, from 2.75 a to recent buildbot buildsā€¦ havenĀ“t tried 2.74 yet.

I donā€™t know much about the technical aspect either, but that last comment by Brecth sounds pretty solid to me, I hope the devs take it into accountā€¦

ā€¦Personally I think implementing something like the Disney principled BSDF is important. As I understand it this shader was used for everything in Big Hero 6 (except for hair and volumes), and it doesnā€™t have that many parameters, so that seems quite powerful and simple for users.I would also enable multiple importance sampling by default for lights, volumes and world. Probably filter glossy as well.
For the GPU it would be nice to let a single GPU render multiple tiles at once, to get rid of the tile size problem. For the CPU multiple cores could also cooperate on the same tile too.
Basically I think being simple to use is one of Cyclesā€™ strengths, and it would great to make it even simpler. But itā€™s entirely up to you guys to decide what to work on of course.

Other than that, any speed improvement will always be a good thing :smiley:

Well here is my list

• Iā€™d like to see Adaptive Sampler again, in its current state or in an improved state (think current was fine)
  • Since tile renderer knows exactly what is to be rendered, ea having the 3D knowledge, i hope to see an image denoise function. which should work on a p object bases, not blending object, and keeping things sharp.
  • Besides denoising of 2D, how about smart morph, so every n-th frame can be a morph instead of a full render, to faster create an animation.
  • Or maybe some other way of improving animation speed (caching of resolved light ?). I think animations can be speeded up in otherways then single images can.
  • Also image denoise and smooth functions in post cycles (compositor), preferably working on object id bounderies. (so no blending).
  • layer output smoke
  • an option to have lights as layerouput too, so that light color can be changed after rendering.
    This doesnt have to be for all lights, but just an option to promot a lightname to layer output.
  • maybe for the node system combine glossy and bsdf into one node.
  • Auto tile size by default. (with optimal dimensions in regard to output image, and optimal cpu/gpu size).
  • Maybe more NPR effects ?.
  • Metropolis or other methods, think those where amazing.
  • And anything that makes it faster :slight_smile:
  • And maybe (not directly cycles) a simple way of joining PCā€™s to help render an animation, which should work on the fly and where people could set their PCā€™s on or off, but when on a service checks if the renderguy is working on something and so other people can help rendering if their CPU is not in use.
  • Combination node of glossy and bsdf (to make life easy).
  • A PBR real good version of fresnel ( it just should be fixed)

has been bookmark, this seems like a very interesting thread

Well hereā€™s my list,

• Adaptive sampling
  • Embree raytracing
  • Irraidiance Cache(itā€™s in the roadmap)
  • Biased ray tracing(give us an option to be unbiased like every other renderer)

Add a ā€œDo it right now, damnit!ā€ button that will create an enhance copy of anything your mind can see :smiley:

It looks to me this is becoming less of a thread about the development plans for Cycles and more of a thread for the posting of a laundry list of requested features.

Keep in mind that the long cycle being proposed is still not going to make it possible for them to satisfy dozens and dozens of requests so they will need to decide which ones are the most critical for the professional use of Cycles (they already have quite a list in the developer.blender.org thread).

Render time is important, But Iā€™ll gladly live with longer render times if it brings stability and features and less out of cuda errors.

Sometimes when you hit that button you just want it to work!

A well made fully integrated materials database, so that many realistic materials are available at the click of a button, like other render engines, without having to carefully design complex material node setups. I think this would push Blender Cycles to the mainstream and make it more popular and accessible.

I also want more filters than just Gaussian, so we can get sharper renders without extra compositing.

There was an experimental patch that brought in the Mitchell filter for anti-aliasing, but the issue is that it is what you call a negative-lobe filter are infamous for ringing artifacts.

You canā€™t really reduce the bell curve any further without introducing numerous aliasing problems in various situations, so the only real way to go here is to have an adaptive filter that smartly determines the minimum lobe size needed on a per-pixel basis (which might be tricky to code).

Iā€™d like to see Cycles compete with V-Ray to be honest. Mainly because V-ray has such a big user base, and is expensive, so it would be really fun to give V-Ray users a run for their money.

But i have no real idea what cycles would have to do in order to compete as i donā€™t use V-ray. All i hear is that V-ray is hard to use, so it would be nice to see cycles stay user friendly as well.

Unfortunately I donā€™t think that it is possible with the actual resources.

I looked at the developer threat and saw where they work on
So here is my post again, with a smile means, its under the eyes of development :slight_smile:

So thats good news :slight_smile:
I wonder if the idea of optimizing animations is possible too (ea maybe things can speedup by different rendering, since blender just did a previous movie frame. (morphing or something like that).

I donā€™t really do much rendering, but Iā€™d like to see Cycles baking improve. It has sat in an alpha state since it was implemented.