Objects Parented to Vertex do not scale with character.

Hi Guys and Girls

I’ve hit a road bump with a bunch of characters I’m working on. I foolishly did not think about the scale of my character until now and so I need to rescale 8 characters, easy enough, but they all have objects that are linked to the main mesh via Vertex Parenting and when I go to scale the characters these objects do not scale. Does anyone have any advice on what to do short of doing it all manually.

Cheers for any replies.

Tom

Hi,

that sounds like it can be easily automated. Do you have a group containing all these objects ? If so you could select the group and apply the scale with “individual origins” - if the character is rigged and scaling these objects somehow messes things up, you can add scale constraints to them so they scale along with the character.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Well I do intend to group them as I will be linking them into different files, but when I just tried that and applying the scale it still does not scale to objects. Also I can’t find a constraint to do the task, anything specific you can think of?

EDIT:

AND THE PRIZE CHUMP AWARD GOES TO … ME!!!

So it turns out my scale was right. I suddenly realised that I was set to Blender Units, once I switched over to Metric it turned out my scale was pretty much bang on, a complete fluke I might add.

However to the point of the thread.

I found that by first just scaling down the main mesh and then scaling the parented objects using “Individual Origins”, as suggested by Hadriscus, afterwards was a simple enough. This was made easier by the fact that the origins of my objects were all touching the mesh at the point where the Parent Vertex was.

I think the problem with vertex parenting is that the scale of a Vertex does not change when scaling a mesh, however if you parent the object to 3 Vertices (you can’t choose 2) then there is a distance between those vertices, no matter how small, that the scaling can be calculated between.

This is all great with hindsight but hopefully it might help someone in future.

Assuming you already scaled the character

1. Select all objects attached to the character
  2. Select “individual origins” pivot
  3. Now scale to the same factor you used for the character itself

OR

Assuming you have not scaled the character

1. Select the character
  2. Select one of the objects attached to the character
  3. Ctrl+Shift+C -> Copy scale
  4. Select all the objects attached to the character, constrained one in last so it is the active object
  5. Ctrl+C -> Copy selected constraints -> Copy scale

That’s great thanks, I’ve not scaled them as of yet and, despite my last post, I do need to scale them.