First Test with fire and smoke, blender and gimp

Hi guys :slight_smile:
i hope i can post that here because in comparison with the other pics it is really bad :confused:

So i did my first fire and smoke animation with 3 objekts (like 3 meteors or something like that :D). And i edidet the finish result with some lens flares with gimp. So here is the result:

good early work. welcome to BA. :slight_smile:

Your editing with GIMP looks decent. The rest you’ll get…

Been mucking around in the smoke generator trying to make clouds and have some advice on volumetics in general:

Under ‘render’ the ‘Volume Sampling, Heterogeneous’ has a step size. The lower the value the more detailed the smoke. 0.1 is very detailed while 2.0 can be rather smooth. Max steps…eh.

A note about ‘render’: ALL the settings under render aren’t calculated during simulation. So get some look you like, bake it out and then deal with light details/shadows and junk.

Don’t forget ‘smoke high resolution’, crank it up and bake it. (save the file first to bake.)

Also under ‘render’ the ‘light paths’ has a ‘volume setting’. 1 turns on voumetrics I guess from testing. Higher values fade them, which can be useful to tame a low step size.

There’s also a node setup involving the ‘attibute’ node connected to the ‘density’ of a ‘volume scatter’ node and named ‘density’ which in turn is hooked into a bright/contrast node between the ‘attribute’ node and ‘volume scatter’ that allows one to change the…well, density and highlights.

Now here is an awesome tutorial that has a technique that might work for your scene: http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/how-to-make-clouds-with-cycles/ . The tut doesn’t fit but the process and technique could. Note it’s 1 and 1/2 hours long which in metric I think is about 2.4 years. But it’s free and you’ve been warned.

And finally look into the ‘texture, point density’ node- might be perfect for what you’re shooting for. Can’t give specifics on this, stupid laptop is doing volumetics all wrong and too tired to load everything into the older laptop.

Anyways, good start! Now fix it, I dare ya. :slight_smile:

Wow, thanks for the reply!
I will test it again with some of your tips and only 1 big objekt. So we will see what comes out :smiley: