Warp gate effect

Hi Guys,

Wondering if someone can help with my problem. I’m trying to make a warp gate with a specific type of effect. Basically It’s a glorified ring floating in space with a groove cut out of the middle of the inside. If you were to look at the ring head on you would be able to see the warp tunnel which the only way I can describe it is the warp effect from star trek, the enterprise while it’s in mid warp. You helped me before get the warp effect but now here’s a complication to go on top of it.

Ideally I would like the particles to be emitted from that groove in the middle, move to the centre a little, then shoot off into the distance forming the warp tunnel. Does that make sense? I know I’m butchering the description. If you can imagine a waterfall, with the water on all 360 degrees and turned on its side.

The things I’ve tried are emitting the particles from that groove, then placing a force field which does actually have the desired effect, problem is the lines that make the warp effect, you know the streaks don’t really bend and look silly going (over the lip). The other particles can be ok but then there are no streaks.

Would I be better off trying to make an animated UV (if that’s possible) with an alpha channel and some streaks? I just think it would look better with particles with some added realism.

Posting this from work on my phone but hopefully I can attach a diagram of what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

tyko

Here is a rough image of what im after

Also, the line particles wont render. What am I doing wrong?

Here the particles bend like i want. But I cant get them to render. Im in cycles and the particle is LINE, not object. if i make an object, it wont bend like it does here.

Line particles don’t support rendering in Cycles atm. You should be able to render the particles in BI though (use the ring as a mask layer) and just layer that over the ring frames from Cycles.