Taking projects from Pro-Artists and re-making those

Hi guys!

I have a morally-committed question to make:

I admire, as all of us I think, to top notch’s artists in the field, and during my learning process in Blender, I’ve always looked up to their work, even if they’ve never used Blender as I do. Their quality always seemed unreachable to me, but lately, I am feeling confident, almost cocky :wink: because I can handle one or two photorealistic resources.

So I considered to Copy one of their work to re-make it in Blender, I am already doing it actually, It’s like a robbery, even if I will never claim that work as mine.

I know I can’t do it as well as they do, it’s just to measure myself. Is this a completely loss of time? I can’t think a painter trying remake the Gioconda only to measure themselves, or an architect re drawing an exact copy of the Guggenheim Bilbao just to know if he can do it as well as Frank Gehry did.

What do you think?

Thanks!

PS: sorry for the long text

I have heard of plenty of traditional artists copying masterpieces for the practice.

Here is a great article on the topic: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/01/26/there-s-nothing-wrong-and-a-lot-that-s-right-about-copying-other-artists.html

I actually do the opposite and it worked out well,

take work that isn’t exactly amazing and fix it

WOW! Great Article Reference!

“If you assiduously try to copy something, you can’t help learn about what you’re replicating.”

This I found being so true…

but, if this article took place, is because I’m not alone in my feeling about copying great artists.

but, with that option, you are limiting the project to your current skills. How can you stretch yourself up if you’re establishing yourself as the limit?

Can you show an example though? :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually don’t establish my self as a limit

I establish what the person was trying to accomplish as the limit(I know I sound like I have it all figured out but eh… yeah I’m just that kind of guy ;))

So I’m just going to take the Killzone ST52 rifle I made earlier as an example

I have NEVER modelled a gun before, so I thought the best way to do so was to remaster the 1st gen STA 52 from killzone 1
Because at the time there were technical limitations that prevented it from looking very very good, so I wanted to see how it looked like without compromises
With a personal taste of course :slight_smile:

I learned a lot while modelling this,
lots of Dos and don’ts
And that’s a good thing I think
Then I post it in my… “experimentation”/ Fanart Deviant Art account

Now when I am modelling something original I know what to do and not to do
then I post it in my actual Deviant Art account

I understand! It’s a different way of facing this long path of learning!

This is my example, I will put it in the WIP section when it should be there, but as an example of what I’m talking about, here it goes:

Go ahead… mimicking is one of the basic natural processes of learning! While all beings do it, many people have prejudice and are against it. Once you’ll start copying art, you’ll understand the process, how artisans work. Then, when you feel self confidence of producing work of art, the need to share and teach others, the door opens to mastery… and human mind begins to appreciate the value of an artisan life. :eyebrowlift:

This used to be hosted on sketchfab, but it looks like it was taken down, here’s a full 3d recreation of Vermeer’s milkmaid:

So long as you’re respectful about it and not doing anything shady most artists don’t mind, as virtually every artist does it themselves. It’s how you learn and build your visual library. Shooting them an email to check never hurts though.

The only thing I would note for sure when you copy another artist is that you make it clear that it is a recreation of another work and that it is not used in any commercial activity.

Other than that, feel free to recreate whatever you want. Also keep in mind the license of original content used to create the work if any such files have been released.

The idea is to learn, this job will not go into my visual library or portfolio, I will post it here, of course, because I’m trying to achieve a photo-realistic look as “V-ray” or “Octane” does it in the hands of masters as Benoit or Guthrie, and if I get it done right, it could be my humble contribution to our community.

I don’t think a master as Benoit cares about me doing a cheap version of his job.

What do you meant by the license of original content used to create the work??

And anyone knows why the render I uploaded is not aligned with its own size? and its like stretched and it looks very pixelated!!

If the artist behind the original work decided to release resources that he used for them such as brush alphas, textures, model files, HDR’s ect…

There is a disadvantage though,
You can’t actually call the work, your own
because the concept was based of somebody else

this applies to both improving someones work and copying a masters work

So is the concept which has the value. If I figure it out the way to achieve a similar look to the original work without knowing how the artist did it, without any tutorial, has only a technical value, but not an artistic one. That’s what you are saying, right?

Yes it is what I’m saying.

and to rate your artwork that you posted
It looks pretty darn good,

Sure it’s not Ronen Bekerman level of good and if I were you I’d turn on film emulation and turn up the gamma and lower the brightness

But still very good.

Thanks for the compliment! this is not the goal of this post though :stuck_out_tongue: but now you’ve mentioned, let me tell you is just a WIP, this is not even post processed or anything like that!

you will see it in Finished Projects some day though, I promise! :wink:

Yeah, I think it’s a lot like following a tutorial, only it takes much more self control and motivation.

Even though I often see people trying to pass off a blenderguru tutorial as their own work, it doesn’t really convince anyone. But if you use it as a personal opportunity to learn and grow, then the end product isn’t really what matters.

I do not agree at all. Of course it’s not my own work, but it’s nothing like a tutorial.

Even if I do this to grow and learn, the final result would be the output of years of learning. And it will really matter, to me at least.

I saw those blenderguru-like works from those who are stuck in Tutorial Land, it’s hard to get out of there!!

this is really an excellent way to learn and improve. this is a recommended excersize in both painting and writing, for example. no reason not to use it in 3d.