What video editor do you use?

Hello all,

I’ve been off of blender for about a month now while trying to get a new pc. (My last one turned into a demon and it seemed better to get a new pc than try and find an electronic exorcist)

Anyway i’ve finally got it all and working ready to go. It’s on Windows 10, but quickly im beginning to wonder about video editing software.

i use to use Sony Vegas Hd 9 i think. a version from like 2010 basically. I’ve loved the program but i’ve seen what the program looks like on the newest versions and it hurts me trying to figure out where everything moved and generally i feel like using it is like trying to walk through a pool of wet cement.

I ‘could’ try and grab every file associated from it from the last computer and transfer it onto this one (i’ve done that once before and it just creates missing drivers for using certain filetypes)

or i could look into a new video editing software.
it’s hard to search for good ones on google because they are lost beneath the endless more common searches for free software.

I am perfectly fine paying for a program to edit videos… just maybe not after effects and it’s $1k price tag if i remember right.

Sony vegas was around $100 which is a little much on my budget, but that’s open for discussion.

So what programs do you all use to edit with, for either Blender animations, screen recordings, gameplay, or whatever else? :stuck_out_tongue:

it depends on my needs
ffmpeg
Handbreak
Avidemux
or
kdenlive

and for compositing
Natron

I used Vegas for 10 years, then switched to Adobe when my work was getting more VFX heavy, but now I use Avid and Fusion for editing and VFX, with Resolve for color and Pro Tools for audio.

For simple editing you can be good with blender itself. If you want to edit videos (many cuts, multicam editing) I would stay with vegas - It is quite inexpensive but very fast to work with and quite easy to learn. I also used Premiere - it is not bad but I like the editing in Vegas more.

blenders sequence editor has some basic video editing functions, and I find it easy to work with, but if you want to do something more complicated, just use the compositing nodes, which have many functions, from basic keyed transforms to some really crazy stuff. and there is also the movie clip editor for compositing, motion tracking, green screening etc.