Tree Of Life Has A Different Meaning

Hi guys! I’m back with another post. I actually posted about this in the past, in the project’s beginning stages, but it got taken down. I guess it wasn’t advanced enough to be in Focused Critiques. Now that I seem to have a grab on it, here I am posting it again. This is my piece for a competition on BlenderGuru/ The topic is ‘New Technology’. What I’m trying to portray is a dystopian future where pollution has taken over and we struggle to live another day. The piece (I hope) is self-explanatory in its own ways. It shows a world where we will need to carry trees for supply of oxygen, hence the name Tree Of Life. Also, I’d like to point out beforehand that the skin/muscles haven’t been my point of interest yet. I’ve only been working on lighting, the vest, the jar, and the gas mask. I haven’t even begun to touch on the muscles or skins yet. I plan to subdivide it and then sculpt details on to that. Of course, that’ll be updated later on. As of now, I’m posting this here to get feedback on the work. Tell me what you like or hate, or the things I could fix. Hope you like it!

Recent render:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]401252[/ATTACH]

Attachments

I like the idea - the human provides the tree with CO2 and the tree provides the human with oxygen. Simple and elegant. Would be more practical if one could carry it on the back I guess, because it looks kinda heavy.

I was going for the idea of a backpack at first, but I went with this to convey the message that it’s more of a punishment than a privilege. Almost like weights around ankles.

Started working on some muscle tone on the right arm

A render with the new muscle toning. To be honest, he looks too ripped in this render. I think I might fill the gaps and definitions a little more. What do you guys think?

It’s a very cool concept but I think that you need to make it a lot more interesting. Right now it looks like a thumbnail for a 3D model at turbosquid. Come up with an interesting story and make it come alive. The pose on the character is very awkward as well.

I would think having to carry around the container in hand would be pretty difficult? How about a backpack? Or even a full suit. I’d also imagine if the air quality is that bad, that the air should affect the skin of the character, which would make me think that the arms should be covered as well. Just a thought! Cool concept and i HOPE this never ever happens for real!

The pose is killing me on this one. What do you guys think would be a good pose for this?

Some experimentation with the pose

The backdrop is temporary, by the way

I really like the concept you’ve got going!
If you’re still looking for ideas on poses, I think something like this could work well:http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_images_n300/0156-0612-1618-0552_man_carrying_a_beer_keg_on_his_shoulder_in_a_brewery.jpg

Attachments

Thanks Jeepster!Actually, I tried that exact pose already. It was great, but the tree, which I would like to be a very major point of interest, was very much hidden. However, the picture you’ve provided will help me in understand the natural way of motion of normal people, so thank you.

Here is a quicky to show you guys what I’m moving around and about.

Due to popular demand, I started adding a backpack for the convenience factor. I plan to also give him translucent sleeves as a sort of protection mechanism so that I can further convey my theory of how dangerous this future is.

More sampled render

Newest render

Newest render

1500 samples of pain

Upon further observation, I see that the soil needs more work.

Hey Thetax nice how fare you have come already! :slight_smile: in my opinion the displacement/bump/normal map of the vest needs some work. Probably in a perfect woorld you should even model the small details like the little lamps :slight_smile: cheers