Frame Rate issues in blender video editor

Hi, I came here to hopefully get some answers to a problem im having. I shot a video of myself playing guitar on my droid turbo. It is in mp4 format. VLC says that the framerate is 28 fps, so thats the framerate i set my project to, however, when i import my video, the audio and video are out of synch, and after rendering, everthing it out of wack. some parts of the render are very sped up, and some are normal. I shot a few test videos on my phone and saw that each one had a slightly different framerate. I take this to believe that the frame rate for my videos is dynamic and that is what is causing my issues. If this is true, how can i set blender up to work with a video like this? even changing the frame rate to where the video and audio channels match up in the video sequencer produce wacko results. Any help is highly appreciated.

What did you set the frame rate to be when you recorded it ? I’d expect 30 fps. Try importing the video with that setting.
You could try preprocessing the video to a known framerate with something like Handbrake