Beginner Blender Tutorial: Create a Lightsaber!

Hey Guys!

Become a Jedi by crafting your own Lightsaber in this exciting Beginner Blender Tutorial! Learn all kinds of Modeling tips and tricks!

Finished Result:

Enjoy!

Steve

Part 2 is now live! Finish your saber with Textures, Grunge, Gloss, and Glows! :slight_smile:

Hi, awesome tutorial, do you mind if i post my result?

I’m not liking several aspects in the first video. It’s a modeling video for beginners and it doesn’t show

• Applying object scale after scaling in object mode. Unapplied object scale can make tools and modifiers appear to behave badly, like non-uniform aspect with inset tool which is caused by non-uniform object scale. Object scale might also be negative which is not usually wanted
  • Controlling smooth shading with autosmooth/edge split modifier, angle and sharp edge limits, which would clear the shading
  • Use of bevel modifier with angle and bevel weight limits which can be used to control edge roundness and add support loops when using subdivision surface modifier. Bevel tool can also be useful but a modifier is non-destructive, another good point for a beginner
  • Removing double vertices (after object scale has been applied) which is a common thing to do, another reason why control loops over the edges is not optimal
  • Example of how to select without making repetitive selections one by one. There are a lot of selection tools that can be combined to make more complex selections. This https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26346140/select_face_loops.mp4 might be a bit much but showing checker deselect, its options, and introducing the idea of saving time with the selections could be enough
  • Another angle (preferably user perspective) when scaling along two axes. Scaling along X and Z while in top view doesn’t show very clearly what is happening

A lot to cover but some of those things are often explained on the support forum because tutorials don’t show them. Applying object scale, remove doubles, recalculate normals especially are very common things to do, yet those are common fixes for beginner problems on the forum.

Just some feedback on that one. To not sound too negative, I’ve checked many of your tutorials before and they’re great. Keep up the good work.

Yes please do! :slight_smile:

here ya go, was good fun following your tutorial, i`m now looking for one on the node editor. (absolutly love it now)

Edit: hmm it didn’t let me upload, here is a link

http://ginzoo.deviantart.com/art/Light-saber-569500480

Really cool man! love it.

you don’t by any chance are in the middle of making/have a tutorial on the node editor and materials?

Regards G

Hi Steve, thank you for this tutorial.

Here is my result :slight_smile:

~

Attachments

Haha I started making this render a while ago, finished it last night and then saw this tutorial today. Funny.