Beverly Hillbillies Truck

Hi everyone.

This is my first W.I.P. thread I’ve ever done.

I decided to try the Hardcore Modeling Challenge over at CGTalk. This theme is movie vehicles. We get six weeks to complete a model, do a bunch of specific renders and a turntable. Most of the people there are professionals that do this stuff for a living, while I am but a weekend hack, so I doubt my model will compare well, but I look forward to the challenge anyways.

Here is a few basic screens to get started. I will try to keep this updated.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

Edited post so I could change the thumbnail more easily. Here are the original images.

The most recent update is in the first post now. Still roughing in the major shapes.

Attachments

Well that’s a great start! I believe all you really need is lots and lots of details to give it that wow factor.

Full agree…with some more details this will come along nicely. I have a weakness for old car models, so keep up the good work.

Thanks for the encouragement LetWritersWrite and Durast.

A couple more images. Hoping to get blocking in done by end of next week or so, then I can start detailing and texturing.

Challenge ends Nov 2, so hopefully I can figure out texture in a month.

Attachments

Texturing is the part that will give me the most problems, so I roughed in some place holders. I will now mix my time between texturing and adding more details and see how far I can get before the Nov 2 deadline.

Attachments

Quick update. Playing with textures ( a definite weak area for me), added a couple more items.

Attachments

I used to love that show (shows my age I guess) :slight_smile: It’s coming along nicely. I think I would try and get the rope holding the tire to look a little more like rope via a bump map or something. But maybe it has not been textured yet.

Thanks harleynut97.

You are correct that the rope has not been done yet. It is still a Bezier Curve with a circle object to adjust thickness and it has a plain diffuse color. Hopefully I will be able to get time to attack the rope this weekend.

The chair has not been textured yet, and I want to do better on the blanket. I made a quilt texture in paint.net, but I can not get the blanket to unwrap neatly. Perhaps I need to unwrap before I sculpt in the wrinkles. Big thanks to fweeb (Jason Van Gumster) for his tip in Blender for Dummies" about using the magic texture for the bump on the blanket. It works pretty nice.

Hi Ryeath,
I’m quite interested in your posts as I have never seen a model of an old car created in Blender before and I think you’ve reached a nice amount of details on your model already.
As you wrote that texturing will give you the most problems here are some quick suggestions about the wooden parts of the car: I think they all need some gloss and maybe a little bit bump. The ends of the planks need a different and more bright texture as the sides. Maybe also add some screws or nails to the vertical poles at the places where the horizontal poles are connected to them. In addition I think the barrels are a bit too saturated and I would recommend baking an ambient occlusion map and adding it on top of the wood texture to make the individual planks more visible.

I’m looking forward to see more updates :slight_smile:

R.R.,

Thank you for your valuable input. I have some gloss and fake bump (cycles displacement), but it needs some fine tuning. The gloss has quite a bit of blur(?) in it because I am trying to make it look old, not new and shiny. I do plan to add some hardware to the stake bed parts, and probably try to add some weathering effects to it.

I haven’t really messed with ambient occlusion much, so this will be a good project to figure it out. Typically I fake it in post. In paint.net I copy the final image, then convert it to pencil drawing, up the contrast and then blend it back into the original render with multiply mode and it makes a nice fake ambient occlusion effect. Not even sure how I would begin on this as everything is still individual objects (305 at last count)

Hoping to get a least a presentable product prior to the contest deadline, but I anticipate I will be working on this well past the deadline.

Still have about two weeks left in the competition, but I don’t anticipate having much time if any to work on the project during that time frame, so I compiled a render sheet that I can submit just in case. This doesn’t mean I am done, far from it, but may not get anything else done on it before deadline.

Here is the render sheet.

Attachments

Great work ! As a beginner i won’t give much critisism…maybe the wood looks looks a bit newish still, but other than that…love it !

Is this truck finished.? and is it available anywhere.?