How to Iron Man like "animation"?

How do i create an “animation” like Iron Mans armor?

• that unfolding/evolving effect/animation
    what is the approach, is it parts hidden… or?
    I am not creating Iron Man, just want to create a similar effect/animation

Any one with tutorials or tips and tricks?

thx

Such a general question has a simple answer. All moving parts can be weight-painted to different bones. Add more bones.

I’d suggest you start with simple animations first of all, you don’t need to model accurate armour models, basic blacks so you can get the idea of how one piece moves with other pieces
Once you happy you know how things interact, make a more complex mechanism.
Plan before you model and animate how each part moves

I dont understand that.
Forget about Iron Man :slight_smile:
If i create an animation with a floor, where tiles keep “flipping” in adding more and more,
where do they come from? Another layer?
Or a House unfolding from nothing
How is it done?
i have seen it tons of times in adverts on tv

Example
http://www.digitaldomain.com/projects/298

There are number of tools you need to use to create the effect. All those little segments will need to be modeled out. They can be animated to flyin to stick by using Child Of constraint. Each of those shapes seems to bend. That can be simulated with Shape Keys. It’s a lot of work. But then advertisers are loaded with money you know.

Thank you for the replys
i thought my objects were able jo jump layers,
but apparently not, so its a bigger project…

If you want objects to “magically appear” you can scale them, or a bone/Empty that they are parented to, down so they are effectively contained within another object, then scale them up so they appear. This can be done over 1 (Instant appearance) or more (gradual appearance) frames. Make sure however that you have them key-framed to be the correct size at say 10 frames before your animation starts, them scale them down on the start of your animation, this makes them easier to find… To get them to disappear totally, scale them to 0, this has the effect you are wanting of them being invisible.

The other option is to keyframe the Camera Icon for the object in the Outliner window, this makes things invisible to the camera i.e. they don’t render. This setting is either on or off. Parts that need to unfold or bend will need making as objects, then that object animated as mentioned previously by @Ridix.

Parts that need to fly-in, then stay on a moving base object should be given a Child Of constraint to an Empty out of sight of the camera with an influence of 1. Then add a second Child Of constraint with the moving object as the target and an influence of 0. Keyframe the influences to change over time so the first becomes 0 and the second becomes 1. This will move them from “Off Camera” to being attached to your moving object - they will then move with it.

Growing shoe laces, for example, can be achieved by making a curve to represent the path of the lace, adding a bevel object (must be a “Curve” object and I use a Bezier circle), then key framing the Start or End values of the bevel object over time, this has the effect of moving the “solid” section of the bevel object along the curve.

Hope this all makes sense to you.

Cheers, Clock.

Thank you

I guess i need to create my animations backwards, and then flip :slight_smile: