Tangents reset on "clean channels"

Hi all. I have a question regarding a frustrating workflow in Blender.

If I animate something (like a cube in this instance)…

…and tweak a few curve handles so it moves the way I want…

…and press “X” and “clean keyframes” or “clean channels” it cleans the keyframes or channels but also resets the tangents on all my curves.

This drives me nuts as it’s only supposed to remove redundant curves or keyframes, not touch the curves set by the user.

It seems to me that this is a workflow error. One might suggest that an animator clean his data before editing tangents but that is not how things work in the real world; animation evolves as you work on it. Frankly if it says clean channels it should do only that and not screw around with the tangents too. I’d love to see this resolved by the next release cycle (unless I’m missing something here of course :)).

Does anyone agree / disagree or have thoughts on this?

@grsaaynoel

if i hit x i get -delete keyframes- in version 2.74, in version 2.75a i´ll get the option -delete keyframes or clean keyframes-.

Clean keyframes (shortcut O in version 2.74) is not the same like delete keyframes.

If i want to delete i press L to select all curves that i need, then crtl+I to invert the selection and in the end x delete keyframes.
Another way is to hide the curves you want with H ,select the rest A and x to delete all keyframes.

You can use a pie menue or just a shortcut to use only one botton for the whole action (crtl+I and x delete keyframes).

Only DELETE (NOT CLEAN)is supposed to remove redundant curves or keyframes.

Thanks Vanderhorst but with respect I think you miss my point.

Only DELETE (NOT CLEAN)is supposed to remove redundant curves or keyframes.

Firstly this is incorrect. “Clean Keyframes” does remove keyframes. If you set keys on three places along the timeline WITHOUT moving your object, then use Clean Keyframes, all but the first keyframe is removed leaving the channel with only it’s first key. “Clean Channels” does almost the same thing but instead, it removes ALLl of the keyframes that have no change AND removes the channel.

Secondly, and more importantly, I feel both “Clean Keyframes” and “Clean Channels” should perform these tasks WITHOUT modifying the curve tangents set by the artist. This is my whole point.

If I wanted to reset my curves, I’d simply select all “A”, set keyframe handle type “V” and choose automatic.

Glenn

@grsaaynoel

Ah yes you are right i tested it again without moving (you showed it in the first post -ROTATED CUBE-and i didnt regognized it), my fault.

And thanks for clearifying it .

I thought you want delete all unused curves and i showed you how i would do it, but clean keyframes is much better because not the whole curve get lost only the useless keys.

Yes the reset of the of the adjusted curve is realy odd.

This from the official release notes:

As always the modified curve left after the clean tool is run is not the same as the original, so this tool is better used before doing custom editing of fcurves and after initial keyframe insertion, to get rid of any unwanted keyframes inserted while doing mass keyframe insertion (by selecting all bones and pressing I for instance)

So the devs know it is an issue. I would really like to campaign for this to be addressed but it seems like I’m the only one :frowning:

Glenn

It’s such a shame there is no interest in this topic.
:frowning: