Day & Night Cycle Tutorial

Finally made this rather long tutorial. Hope it helps you! :smiley:

1 Like

Great tutorial, didn’t know you could animate the mist now! But it’s very far from looking like a real day/night cycle. When the sun is going down, half of the sky will be brighter than the other half. So you will see the light go with the sun. I’m trying to figure out an efficient way to do this, but haven’t had any good ideas. Other problem is that your stars don’t move at night. Most people will not notice this, but for the detail oriented it counts big.

Try adding a third texture to the node setup with a sunset sky texture

Ok I´m gonna try to create the sunset sky effect and the moving stars, and if I achieve it, I´ll make another tut.

I don’t think it would be that simple. Take a look at the video bellow, go to 3:31 (you can see almost half the sky is lighter than the other), then change the speed of the video to 0.25 and watch as the light changes.

You could have a texture with a circle for the light, but then you would need to squish the circle into an elongated oval. At least that’s how it appears to me. Plus you would have to do something about that mist, which you can see, also has a different shade on the other side of the sky. I’m not sure if you could do all that with nodes, and if you could would it really be efficient? For someone with an low end computer I could see Blenderrendersky’s setup, as it is now, breaking the frame rate for them.

On a side note - it would also be very cool to have the stars be able to fade out when the player moved closer to a light source at night. Going next to a street light at night and still seeing stars when you look up at the light is super unrealistic.