Fluids

Hello

Always been fascinated with the fluids that blender can produce and have been messing around with it for about a week now, thought of maybe turning this into Poseidon rising out of the waves.

Simple glass material being used at the moment.

Thoughts as always appreciated.

Shaun

Attachments

Hi Speed, a wonderful idea. I’ll watch your progress on this :slight_smile:

@minoribus, thanks, some long render times here so I am looking at other ways to do Poseidon.

Poseidon needs an ocean so I had a go at the ocean modifier late yesterday as I have not had a lot of time to play lately.

I cannot get the waves as big as I want (looking for Tsunami style) so maybe I just have to make Poseidon really small. :smiley:

Any ideas about the waves or links to tuts appreciated.

http://vimeo.com/cornerstoneprojects/review/139970347/2e0489abd0

Shaun

Interesting concept Speed. I would imagine your Transmission passes need to be up around 12 to 14 so I can imagine the render times here.

The ocean in the video is looking fine. But I doubt that you could create waves as big as you want with the ocean sim. Maybe your idea of going the opposite way would be an option, but than you don’t have a real world scaling and that’s something to avoid usually. But - it could be worth a try.

Hi All

@Ghost, nice to see you visiting me here. Yes them render times are something else. My computer sounds like it is going to take off, think it is using fans it never knew it had. :smiley:

@minoribus. I really think that I have bitten of more than I can chew here, been trying different things for days now and the skill needed to create and texture a tidal wave is something I really do not have at the moment. Maybe never.

When I started this I thought, how hard can that be. Well as I discovered, to make a tidal wave that looks even quarter decent you need talent (and lots of it) as well as an intimate knowledge of the software used.

Some sort of disappointing update.

Shaun

@Ghost, nice to see you visiting me here. Yes them render times are something else. My computer sounds like it is going to take off, think it is using fans it never knew it had.

LOL! Speed7 when attempting my little project in YafaRay (CPU) as I’ve mentioned before at times I thought the entire puter was ready to take flight. And, with a eye on ‘Speccy’ at times I shut the render down. Just put it off for the nighttime hours since the AC was wide open anyway. I’m not any to sure the CPU will throttle back like we assume the GPUs will.

A couple of thoughts if I might. I see your rim lighting is looking nice. And, I’m sure the dark background is a artistic choice. But, the glass doesn’t seem to be reflecting much. Well, yeah like there’s a whole lot besides a vast ocean. What would happen with a HDR of a sunlight ocean with it maybe rotated 180. And, yes the entire mood would be altered for sure.

OK if not a sunlight ocean a HDR of a Sunny sky with no visible sun. Or, it could be that magic hour just after the sun goes down and again maybe rotated. I’m off and looking now just in case. The tidal wave also has me a little confused. Wouldn’t a displacement modifier do that or even just proportional editing mode. Regardless IMHO the concept is worth pursuing. Looking good.

Hi All

@Ghost, Been busy with various HDR’s to try and get the lighting I am looking for, want to express a kind of a moody stormy scene and I also think a monochromatic scheme will go best with this.

Yeah the glass, self confessed NOOB when it comes to using nodes, so really battle with materials in all projects I do, really need to spend some times getting to know and study nodes in order for it not to be a case of hit and miss (mostly miss) with my materials.

Inspired by your blunt refusal of my ability to make a wave, I settled down in front of the comp this afternoon and started to experiment.

What I ended up doing was this.

Made a wavy black and white texture in PS, brought it into blender and used it as a texture in the disp mod, fiddled with a few settings to get the scale right, added an ocean mod and then found a little toggle in there that allowed me to use the displacement instead of generate for the geometry. Made some more adjustments to the ocean mod. Had to apply the ocean mod in order to get to the mesh to work on the geometry a bit.

Think if I can get to do a decent material on it, it may just start to look decent.

Thoughts?

Shaun

Hi All

Had another hack at this and think the tex is starting to look not bad.

Geometry on the wave is still suspect and will need to do some particles for spray.

Shaun

And the last one for today, think the spray still needs a lot of work.

Shaun

Just could not resist, definitely ABF for today.

Shaun

Looking outstanding Speed. Excellent idea to build it up before the Ocean Modifier. Wish I had read that before playing in the Ocean Mod for two hours. :slight_smile: This is going to look great. But, with your interest in Water check out the new tutorial here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smArCTzxGpE#t=411 Not that it’s needed for this project. Man you are well on the way now. Looking good.

I can’t believe this is not a photo, the ocean material looks spectacular.

The only critique is that some of the form looks a bit too ‘soft’ with not enough indication that it’s actually made of tiny particles.

Hi All

@Ghost, thanks so much. Blender is so full of possibilities and I am sure one can really make anything you set your mind to, I think the biggest issue I have is that it will probably take a year of Sundays to learn all the features and functions of the software. Hell there are things in there that I am scared to click on in case I break something. :smiley:

Check out and download this file, I think this guy had a futuristic race of aliens helping him.

That tutorial on the ocean is well worth the watch and definitely something to mess around with and get to know.

Big thanks for the glass material setup that you sent me, will definitely be keeping this in the arsenal and using on my Poseidon.

@Hey Ace thanks so much. Yes the foam/spray is definitely one of the areas that need work. Thanks for visiting here.

Shaun

Your models are looking very nice, particularly once the foam is added. The one suggestion I have is that crashing ocean waves tend to be lighter near the top where the skylight is passing through the water. Right now it looks a little too solid.

@rjshae, thanks for looking in, agree with you, need to get it more transparent and lighter there, looking at it again I think the bump there is also too strong and maybe a bit too glossy also.

Shaun

Hi All

Had some time to do some further work on this.

Let me know what you think.

Shaun

Actually old buddy I liked post # 11 better. Thought about your comment yesterday. I was designing a cat house for the old gal friend. That’s cat with a C Speedy. :slight_smile: Anyway I thought I would spread some grass around and use a hdr for some lighting. Suddenly I had fans I didn’t know I had. Damn is the particle system in Cycles even more labor intensive then BI. Apples and Oranges I guess.

Could you make the top of that wave more transparent using Weight Paint as a factor. A old tutorial is rattling around in my head.

Hey Ghost

Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir and more Whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir. :smiley: Like to see that cat house with a big C, thought Cats used baskets.

What is it that you prefer in #11, is it the colour or other things?

Point me in the direction of that tut if you can.

Regards

Shaun

The entire left side really. The spray I would say but the lighting is a nice touch also. God I have not a clue on that tutorial but I think the guy was doing a ocean scene. BlenderTuts maybe ???

Shaun she has about twelve feral cats who live out back and she feeds them. Some agency came out there and took care of business so the population is not growing thank god. I’ve seen the cat food she buys every Saturday. And, she was insistent on them being able to look out hence the Plexiglas. I’m off to Blendertuts looking for that tutorial now.