Include demo scene in Blender for easy rendering and benchmarking

We all were newbies at some point. I remember my time vividly. One thing that was hard in Blender was to not have anything to work with. There was just that cube and rending than looked like nothing I needed a raytracer for. I wanted to render something nice, to give my shiny new GPU or CPU a whirl or to show somebody what a raytracer can do.

Since it is a lot of work to first learn the interface and modelling to even do a modest render, I looked for demo scenes to render. And finally found some, but it was not easy and hardly fast.

So this is my proposal:
Create a demo scene that is part of Blender, that can be easily called up with a menu, automatically loaded and you could render it easily.

3 Scenes

There could also be 3 scenes, one simple, another medium and the third very complex, depending on how powerful your computer is.

This should use cycles, as it looks the best and is the future of Blender.

The demo scene could change with every major release of blender or stay the same, whatever works better. Eventually it would be good if there was a little library of demo scenes that people can play around with.

Learn from the masters

This would also allow people to analyze the scenes and learn from experienced blender experts.

This can also make the new blender user proud, because he can show off the program to others, what it can do. Likely, his first scenes that he built him/herself and renders will not look that pretty and not be a good show off to others.

Blender is also currently the underdog, Max and Maya are very famous, but I think it would make a huge difference if Blender had this feature that would make doubters into believers since they could see what is possible with Blender. You can of course find pictures online, but there is nothing more satisfying and true to render it yourself.
It is similar to what the open movies do: you can tell somebody about Blender for a while, but just showing them the movies, some immediately gasp and say “This is open source and free, seriously? Cool!”

In the beginning, I would recommend to do a still scene, not an animation, to keep things simple and get it started, but later on it could also be an animation, maybe fully fledged with armatures and sound effects, showing what blender can do.

For creating this demo scene, it might be useful to consult with some experienced Blender artists (I’m definitely not one), if they would be willing to maybe donate (open source) one of their scenes for that purpose, of course attributed with their name, so fame goes where it is deserved.

Benchmark

Another nice side effect of this standard scene would be to be able to benchmark cycles at fixed settings and resolutions, to see if and how optimizations to the engine are working.
Since this could be done by pretty much any Blender user, it might open up new ways to optimize rendering, where render time is less, but the render looks almost the same high quality. We might be surprised, what people come up with.

I would love to hear your feedback on this.

Markus

Problems and issues:

One of the issues that might come up is space usage: it might make the blender installer larger, so we might first start only with the simple scene, because the more complex scenes will use more space. Also, there could be two installers, one with the demo scene, one without.

There are plenty of example scenes you can find to try, it doesn’t need to clog up the blender install
You want it changed with every blend er revision, who’s going to maintain these ?
If you think it is appropriate to have all these demo scenes, you can can create and manage them yourself and inpform people about them.

You don’t need another installer, all you need is a blend file with demo scenes, anyone can make these, even different ones for different types of work, no need for this to be ‘official’

It would probably be easy enough to simply have a group of scenes you could optionally download with the official release. It might even be possible to have an automatic favorite folder installed directing to these content files.

This is a common feature of a lot of programs. At least having official content. It is a good idea.

Maya has a window called “Visor” which allows you to select preset scenes from various aspects of Maya and it is extremely helpful.

LightWave has a lot of content files you can download.

I think it is a good idea. :slight_smile:

Just does not have to be a part of the install. That is not necessary. At least an option to DL scenes is a good idea…

Then there’s BlendSwap… :rolleyes:

Demo files page is here. Click “demo files” at the top when on the download page.

There was talk awhile ago about having different startup files (I think it was Ton’s holiday coding thing a few years ago). I don’t know that it was necessarily to have easy rendering and benchmarks, but more to have templates such as a basemesh for sculpting or whatever. Not sure if the idea was abandoned or just hasn’t got off the ground yet.

If you want to have example files, then one way to do it would be to have them stored on the Blender Foundation’s server while the user invokes an operator in Blender to connect to it and instantiate a download.

When the asset browser project is done, there could be a section that contains a list of example files to download, the icing on the cake would be that when it downloads, it is then loaded into your scene immediately.

Ace Dragons idea is good. The scene listing and links could be on the startup splash screen. I could be pythonized to download the zip file with example scene and then load it after download is done.

You do realise that there are loads of scenes for that online

Funny thing is, that’s how I learned Cinema 4d, with Asset files from the file browser

Well, anything that would help getting off the stigma that blender is incredibly bad and doesn’t have a good renderer
is a good thing

In addition, the Blender website could also have them all zipped up in a mega file for those who would want the convenience of them being on their hard-drive (so if the server is down they still have access).

Oh of course, but can you load these with one click in Blender? In the help menu or from the splash screen?
Which one should I take if I’m a newbie? Which ones are good, which ones are bad? Which ones will overload my system?
You see the difficulties, especially for a newbie.

Hmm, I might maybe do a proposal, a python script that does load these three scenes in Blender directly from the internet.
Do you guys have any suggestions for good scenes? A complex one, a medium one and a simple one? I have to say I don’t know one, I’m not up to date on what is out there. furthermore I have no idea about the licensing, which authors would be ok with them being used.

Without a centralized location that will stay for the long term (like one created by the BF itself), any script is either only going to work temporarily until the link breaks or will be more complex to make because it has to take multiple web addressed into account.

Then there would be loading via Python, meaning the process of loading assets into your .blend file will be very slow.

Yeah the files should be in one locale and simply able to DL them to your HD.

A useful script in my opinion would be one that allowed you to browse the files with icons and meaningful tittles arranged by category.

This could be tied into the directory which would be sorted by type into folders arranged by category.

Similar to this:

In the Visor you simply right click on an icon to import the sample into your scene.

mentionning assets, there’s the old blender texture cd that is by now public domain and can be downloaded from the updated link in that article that gives the user a huge bunch of texture to use in projects, with some old materials too (not cycles material of course) :

note : provided plugins not working on blender 2.5 and + , only for 2.49 and earlier.

Reminds me of my Carrara days, which were years ago.

I think what needs to be done with built-in materials is that for Cycles at least, they look as close to the real thing as possible. If there’s any omission in realism that needs to be addressed, it should be addressed.

This would also include taking into account such traits as micro-roughness, anisotropy, and chromatic aberration (the latter needing to be faked of course). Though that doesn’t mean there can’t be a second set for used with more stylized or toon-like images.

Just a reminder, materials are off topic. It would be good if the chances of this feature ever getting realized are raised by the fact that a developer reading this does not have to wade through 28381 posts and can’t find the ones that are pertaining to the original idea.
I do agree with you though, that a materials / asset manager for Blender is really super important.

How about suitable scenes? Do any of you have a concrete proposal for a complex and simple scene that I could start working with, something that looks nice and uses a lot of Blenders features? And of course just for cycles.
I want to also start running Benchmarks and publishing them.
I for example use a overclocked GTX 780 for rendering and somebody that is currently use his CPU to crunch scenes might be curious how much faster the standard scene renders on a GPU compared.

Hmm, a thought:

I might do this as an addon. I want this to be part of Blender Master, as this would be useful for everybody and especially newbies should be able to use this, without having to download and install an addon, BUT it might be good to start doing it as an extension, so that people can experiment with it.