J.U.D.A.S Teaser Image #2: (& New to Blender!)

Hi guys,

I’m brand new to Blender, been toying around with it since yesterday and I think I have some of the basics figured out, I’m already working on a project that should be relatively simple.

^ This is the project at the moment.

This is the reference image I am using:

I have a relative understanding of the basics, and have figured out smoothing and sculpting to a degree, but at the moment I’ve now hit some snags.

Firstly, when I go into rendered view mode, the central ‘sphere’ vanishes, does this have to do with how finite I have made it’s mesh? (I subdivided it 3-4 times and smoothed the living H-E-double hockey stick out of it to get a ‘eye’ shape like in the reference image.) Or is there something else going on with that?

There are also other things I’m not fully familiar with either. I am trying to get a similar color scheme on my project as the reference image as well as a dull emission of red light, I assume this is the Texture painter that I need to use. Yet when I try to paint the objects red, when I re-open the project after saving it reverts back as though I never painted them. :confused:

I was also going to connect the spheres with thin cylinders, and texture them so they looked like flowing data-streams. Finally, I have absolutely no idea how to make some sort of background/backdrop, which would really be great for what I’m trying to make.

Looking forward to using Blender later on to bring my Robotic OC to full life… hopefully.

Firstly, when I go into rendered view mode, the central ‘sphere’ vanishes, does this have to do with how finite I have made it’s mesh? (I subdivided it 3-4 times and smoothed the living H-E-double hockey stick out of it to get a ‘eye’ shape like in the reference image.) Or is there something else going on with that?
Too little info. No blend file supplied so we know nothing about your scene, render settings, camera settings, lighting etc etc etc

Yet when I try to paint the objects red, when I re-open the project after saving it reverts back as though I never painted them
If you paint a texture you need to save it (File / Save Image As in Image Editor) before closing your blend file.

You can look at the fresnel node to change the colour of faces depending on the direction they face.
https://www.google.de/search?q=blender+fresnel+node&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI27jOrLDdxwIVyTAaCh21wQNo&biw=1232&bih=278