Sculpting help

So I just got my new Drawing tablet today to finally have a good go at Sculpting. I’ve seen tutorials on about what every brush does and how it works but now I want to practice doing something.

I’ve noticed that I got zero skill in this, I literally can’t make anything besides some cool carvings on a sphere, so I need to practice a lot to pull off a model with this.

But I got no idea on what to do, considering I can’t do anything, does anyone knows some good Sculpting exercises for someone that really can’t do anything in Sculpting?

Because, my issue is, is that I get lost. I was trying to pull off a dragon, but I just couldn’t do much with it, just looked like a mashed up potato which kinda looked like a Dragon…While in Poly modelling, I can do it. But I’ve always wanted to get good at Sculpting to get all the sweet details that it allows you to place on models. So that’s why I’m here to see how guys went from zero to hero. ^^

https://www.google.com/search?q=blender+sculpting+tutorials&oq=blender+sculpting+tutorials&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64l3.5943j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#q=blender+sculpting+tutorials&safe=off&tbm=vid

I think the most common issue with beginner sculpts is blobi-ness / potatoid-ness. At the start, don’t be shy, use high pressure and big brush to carve out the spaces, and same for building up. using reference pics can be very helpful too. this is the same issue that many beginning actual sculptors ( meaning real substances like clay or wood ) encounter. they don’t carve deep enough.

Don’t worry. Every sculptor have been there where you are now. It takes time. First you need to really get the idea, what to do with the sculpt tools. What brush you really need to use to make certain effect.

I noticed there is going on a sculptSeptember, in Facebook. You should take part of it.

But the basics are: 1. proportions right, 2. rough details, 3. small details.

Without solid proportions, everything you sculpt goes wrong. And don’t hesitate to just try again, when your sulpting goes “bad”. I have found, that starting over is better than just working on sculpt that has proportions or something else fundamentally wrong.

lots and lots of saves!!! EVERYTIME you get something that looks right and lots and lots of practise, start simple and don’t try so hard you give up

Focus more on learning the artistic principles. Define basic form and then layer on medium and then final details. Some drawing and painting techniques are transferable to sculpting. Test every sculpting brush and option to see what they can be useful for artistically. Don’t sculpt from memory use reference. I often reference sculpts on the same subject since there easier too read. Visit ZBC to get inspiration, tips, breakdowns and tutorials from industry pro’s.