groupping a 7 DoF arm robot meshes to one mesh

Hello every one.
I am new in Blender and in all 3D modelization. I had to modelize a 7 DOF arm robot for my project. The 3D model has to be available on web page, to allowed different user to manipulate the arm in a virtual mode. For that I thaught to use Blend4web, and so I started to use Blender. I successed to build the diffenent meshes and I followed revolt_randy’s tutorial to do the armature. But I’m stuk in this level, I can not figure out how can I put the IK constaints :S In fact my arm is a very complex model: I have 7 rotation joints and a gripper
(base --> Rot (z) --> Rot (x) --> Rot (z) --> Rot (x) --> Rot (y) --> Rot (x) --> Rot (z) --> fingers)
How can I put my IK bones??? And then, what comes next??? Animation I presume? I red about bakking constaints and I don’t really understand what is about?
Any ideas? explanation please?
Thank you very much.
Meriem

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Animation and Rigging”

Huh, someone got some good out of those videos?? Glad they helped.

Couple of things I think you need to think about at this stage: Will Blend4web support animation, and if so, how complicated can the animation be? I looked at it once, but didn’t dive into it too much because I don’t need or have use for it. 2nd, how will the user be controlling the robot? By that I mean, will it be interactive, where the user directly controls it, or will it be controlled by buttons that make it perform a series of pre-recorded animated actions? I don’t think Blend4web will let you do the first one, and it might be hard to get it to do the 2nd case. Knowing how the robot will be controlled will be helpful in designing the rig. For example, if it’s simple animation you might not even need IK.

IK can make some animation easier, but other times it’s not required. I’d have to see the rig and know how you want it controlled before I could give any advice. Attach up a .blend file. BTW, did you watch all 3 videos? I think I used IK on a joint or two…if that’s what you need help on, let me know, and post the file.

Randy

I think so, yes… In fact I get the idea to use blender when I saw an article about the Nasa who is using Blend4Web to make an interactive web application about their robot Curiosity. You can find the application on the blend4web official web site.

I want my application te be interactive the same way tha Nasa application is. Actually, a little bit more complcated than that… I want the user be able to select the arm (link, or joint) he wants to control and to select the exact degree of rotation of the selected mesh, the virtual arm will move according to the user input, and the REAL arm will mimic the virtual arm movement. In a future a work, and if I succeed at this stage, I want to transform my application to a virtual reality application… That’s exactely how I want to control my robot.
According to what you said

I think, yeah you’re right, I don’t need the IK actually :confused:

Anyway thank you for your help, I’m actually honored…
for the attached file, I got some issues with the attachements file uploader, my file is just 10.00 Mo! is there any other way to send you the file?
Meriem

So you’re actually controlling 2 identical arms? A virtual one and a real one? That’s kind of interesting, would be a fun little project. As stated you don’t need IK here, IK is only useful if you want the end of a limb to stay in place as the body moves, like you hand stuck to a desk as you stand up.

I don’t need to see the file then. But tell me this… is this something for over the internet? I wouldn’t think so, since you are controlling a real robot, you’d be close to the real thing, right? If so, instead of blend4web you might want to look into a game engine, like blender’s game engine. I’m not a game engine person, and I’m not advocating blender’s game engine, because I know nothing about it. A game engine would give you a dedicated window, not inside a web browser window, display and you could control the whole display. No back arrows, no browser menus, and none of the other clutter that a browser has to surf the web with. 1 dedicated window displaying what you want is what a game engine would give you.

Just a thought,
Randy

Not over the internet, but over a local network… from another building or another room… I mean the robot is not necessarly close to me when I’m controlling it… I can have the realtime visual feedback from a camera. That’s why I decided to make it as a web application.

I’ve followed your advice Randy, and I’m trying to use JMonkeyEngine, since it is in java I can make a web application the same way I make a desktop application, I’ll decide later. I actually choose JMonkeyEngine because I’m pretty good in java programming either than I’m in python or in blender tricks. What do you think?

it would be helpful to see your file. could you post it on pasteall?
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/

I got some issues with those uploaders :frowning: Is there any other way to send you the file?
Sorry for relying so late

this uploader is not one of those evil ones. it’s for use specifically by the blender community, and hosted by a member of the blender community. it’s very straightforward, and won’t try to install a download manager on your comp or anything like that.

I could solve the problem with the help of another community. Thanks anyway

Thank you very much Randy you’re a life saver. It works wonderfully ^^Thank you