Living Room Project Critique

I have been working on this for a few days. The fireplace came from blendswap, as well as the painting over the tv. The interior designer wanted the painting to show that it folds up to expose the tv. The wine bottle and glasses were from blendswap too.

I know the chair models need work still. I can’t seem to get the rounded back to work properly? Should I make the model in pieces, or just make one mesh for the whole thing? That was my approach this time.

I used Andrew Price’s Pro Lighting Skies addon, this is a great addition to blender! I would greatly appreciate any constructive feedback.

To me it looks really good; it could easily be mistaken for a still shot. You could have a speaker bar hanging from the bottom of the TV so it is clearer that isn’t a window. Some light emission from the display could faintly illuminate the tops of the chairs. A remote control on the lamp stand would fit the scene as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about a tv remote or illuminating the screen. That should be a nice touch!

I really like this scene (would love to sit down for a glass of wine :-).
I got a bit distracted by the carpet. I initially wondered why is the table casting such a sharp shadow and why is it bend? Mabye make the carpet structure more visible in the dark brown part?
Also, have You tried to tweak on time of day for the outside lightning? I could imagine it to look even more cozy if the interior lightning contributes a bit more.
(for power saving reasons You should switch off the light inside anyways if it’s bright outside :-))

It looks very good, but like almost all scenes of the sort, It hardly has any signs of life.

Looking very nice indeed. But, is there any reason for the down shot. If there was a character in the room that might be a option as in a illustration. To invoke a mood or relay a story. But, a archvis is usually viewed with a camera about the average height of a individual above the floor and perpendicular to it. In America about 5’ 5". However, if this is what you want fine. But, first comes the intent and composition and then Cycles.

And, speaking of that what are the distracting lights doing on in the middle of the day, guy. And, I simply don’t see much light bouncing around. Even with ‘Diffuse’ set to 1 I would think there would be more. Also, don’t confuse a viewer. It’s either day time or night in a scene like this. And, like someone posted the black patch in the carpet is confusing and distracting.

And, yes we nitpick here on this forum with a WIP. Your curtains should be somewhat transparent by the way. But, that being said you are on the way. You commented the arms of your chairs needed more width. But, the modeling is rather nice in my book given the distance to the camera.

It’s the lighting that sucks and the lack of specular highlights in some of the material. Then again my work is no prize to be featured in Blender Nation. So opinions abound on here :slight_smile: A very nice start, guy. Keep up the good work. Have you tried ‘Portals’ for the windows with area lights yet.

Thanksfor the comments. A few of the critiques are kind of out of my control. The designer I am working with has had some odd suggestions. The mirror above the fireplace has a bit to do with her wanting to see it a bit better. I couldn’t get the HDR lighting to work well with it, so I added a few point lights. I know there has to be a better way. Will the area light required by portals work well with an HDR? I struggle with lighting, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

the black rug needs work, but the designer has asked me to leave a few of these issues alone. She wanted an hourly rate and I suggested a flat fee. She screwed herself and wants me to stop tweaking a few things. This is my first job, as well as her first time working with someone to do archviz. So we are both learning how to work with each other.

the camera position was her suggestion. She was adamant about the mirror again and every time I was happy with the camera position, she didn’t like it. The customer is always right! Lol

i I am not sure what is meant by lowering the diffuse. Do you mean, add more glossy with the mix shader, or is there something I don’t know about? Idk what happened to my reflections on the floor. I need to work that out. I added a camera Ray and the reflections went away so I took it out. For some reason the reflections didn’t come back. I will for sure fix this.

again, thanks everyone for the comments! It helps a lot!

never mind about light portals. I wasn’t exactly correct in my idea how it worked. Got them placed in the scene and it renders much better!