Question about blender and bas-relief

HI, im new in the forum, hope this is the right section for my thread and hope i can find some help :slight_smile:

Im trying to do this work:

• Create a scene in blender with more than one object (landscape, city, or anything else) ( this part its ok :smiley: )
  • Take the z depth map of that scene ( using the z buffer of the blender cam?? ) and save it on the pc
  • Then put that z depth map into blender and use it to create a bas-relief of the scene

Can someone help me or have any idea about how can i do that kind of work?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP :smiley:

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Modeling”

thank you, and sorry if i post it in the wrong section :slight_smile:

put that z depth map into blender and use it to create a bas-relief of the scene

Do you mean use Z depth information to create the landscape? What is the form of Z depth information? Blender can use grayscale image to create Z depth using Displacement modifier:

You can render a depth map by using the Z depth value. Using a normalise node will create an image with values between 0 and 1

Demo:

Thank you, i will try your suggestion and i’ll make you know something about that

if someone else have other suggestion let me know,

thank a lot :smiley:

hi richard, i try your method and this is my result, i have some question :slight_smile:

• if i use cycles render its the same thing?? or there are some differences between that and the blender render?
  • So black means near and white means far, right?
  • there are some way to have more detail with the monkey behind?? i try to use the node “map value”, “map range” and modify the value but with no result

sorry if i ask you so much, hope you can help me and thank you very much :slight_smile:

You can easily discover z -depth values you would need to map to [0-1] using camera limits visualization and clipping values.
Set clipping value sliders so that limit line starts and ends where you want to. Closer you adjust more depth resolution you will get.
File format - Openexr will have most of the details, png 8 bit will capture least amount and will show banding likely. jpg hopelessly distorts what you would render.
Do not relay on your eyes when looking at greyscale image - use mouse rightclick and drag cursor over the image in UV editor window - values will read on status line.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=92838

hi eppo, sorry for reply so later, your method its work very well!!

thank you for your help!! :yes: