how do I setup a spherical/cubic reflection image for the blender internal viewport?

I am probably missing something basic as I’m very much the blender newbie. Is it possible to easily add a spherical or cubic environment image that shows in the viewport. As far as I can tell reflection and normal image mapping cover the half sphere that’s orientated towards the camera, so as the camera rotates, the reflection and normal images remain fixed. This is fine as long as the camera is not rotating too much, but I’d prefer to have 360 degree coverage.
I’m purely interested in solutions that allow me to use the GLSL viewport for real-time rendering at this point.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for reading.
Test image test using half sphere rgbm textures for reflections, specular and ambience lighting - glsl render.

You can add a texture (possibly HDRI) to the world, influence the zenith, in the world properties check blend and real sky. In mapping for the texture, you choose what type of map it is whether it is equirectangular, spherical, Angular map and so on… Should do what you want.

Sorry for the short answer, but I see that you have the map there, you just have to check the zenith boxes in the texture areas and the blend and real sky in the word settings and that should be it to see it in your render.

In this example I’m also using environment lighting, but works without going that route.

I see. That is interesting, but a heck of a lot of work. Something tells me there has to be a simpler solution.