Chess (Warning mild nudity)

Hi All

Something that I have been working on in spare time for a couple of weeks now.

Had a WIP thread and thanks to minoribus, harleynut97, clockmender, Modron and tobbew for all their input.

See what you think.

Shaun

EDIT: Thanks to the following people for their blend files from Blendswop:

Sword by dansafee
Crown by Nattie
Spear by JDHaller
Bishops hat by Dimetrii
Crown king by tadine

it came out nice, man. I like the flaming sword. The radial blur seems a bit strong imo, though.

From the beginning of this project I’ve been asking myself why these chess pieces are naked. And how it would look if they would be dressed. The answer I gave to myself was that the bareness is a good metaphor and depiction of the vulnerability. And I think that is something you may had in mind.

The composition has also really matured during the course of the project and it expresses motion, speed, urge and inescapability. I like how you insinuated the player in the background.

Oh, and I’m really a fan of the white marble material for the bases :slight_smile:

Cool, but too much blur imo.

@Modron, thanks a lot. the blur is a lot i agree. i was trying to show speed and urgency, both on the part of the pawn trying to get to kill the king and by the queen trying to get to the pawn to kill him, could not really think of a better way to do it.

@minoribus, thanks. i was really trying to give this an esoteric meaning and also trying to really date this and show that this game was taking place in a timeless place. also trying to depict how i believe the great masters maybe would have sculpted a scene like this.

@Blade113, thank you for looking in. yes the BLUR, Modron said the same thing and i have given an explanation in my reply to him. how would you have depicted what i was trying to say, do you think less blur would have the same urgency or do you maybe have some other idea i could try?

shaun