2.75 Please select ONLY one object

I am trying to learn Blender 2.75 under Linux (Porters 2.5 I believe, the latest) and seem to be doing fine, except that I keep trying to select one object (mesh, meatball, etc) to operate on it, and it selects EVERYTHING! I am not using the A key. Every tutorial I am finding breaks down here. How do I select only one object (say, the guy’s arm) to work on it alone? I am still trying to rough sketch my character with polys and this seems like a real road block.

Are you sure you don’t just have a single object ?
Look in the outliner, are they all separate objects ? You add new objects to your scene while you are in Object mode, if you add an object in Edit mode you will append it to the currently edited object

Ensure you don’t have proportional editing enabled (shortcut O and blue circle icon on 3d view header)

Please supply an example blend file

I think I may have figured out a few things to isolate.

1. It isn’t proportional editing (but do keep an eye on it)
  2. I think my clocks go from POV to horizon, instead of stopping at the first object they find. …so I may be clicking “through” objects, therefore interacting them. This is especially true if I have another object behind a movement vertex I am trying to grab. Moving my POV helps here.
  3. Watch what was selected before I begin. Often the first thing I do is get rid of that cube I begin new files with, and that may be contributing to all sorts of unexpected behaviors. Nothing selected before I begin may also contribute.

UPDATE: MODS FEEL FREE TO MERGE PREVIOUS POST WITH THIS POST

This is working much better. However, what is with my arms? (Mball.006 and Mball.007) They are disappearing as I move them, and just look wierd.

Emanuel-concept.blend (402 KB)

Probably because you’re using meta balls,why not just model it and rig it properly?

Define “properly.” I’m as green to 3d modeling as one can get. :wink:

Ah yes, metaballs… they aren’t really individual objects… metaballs, iirc, get merged into one object but have the manipulations that alter them in space… its kinda like a fake object that you cant do as much with.

I second DCBloodhHound… if you are wanting a much more reliable way of modelling, model normally instead of using metaballs.

to define normally and properly, they mean using meshes and manipulating vertices to create the shapes you want, metaballs may SEEM like an easy way to get things done but they often cause problems.

deleting the start cube causes no problems, ever… in fact I’ve never once USED the start cube.

unless you’re holding shift, a single rightclick will select just one object. repeat clicking just changes which object you select.

the problem you’re having with selecting is entirely down to how metaballs are “connected” to each other…
avoid them. :slight_smile: