Gingerbread tutorial : Problem with skinning

Hi all,

I’m following the blender tutorial : http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:FR/2.6/Manual/Your_First_Animation/2.Animating_the_Gingerbread_ManEverythings are going well until skinning proccess. I have this nice gingerbreadman :eek:

Then I use Ctrl+P in object mode and I choose “Armature deform with automatic weight”.
I deselect all, I select only the body and switch to edit mode. Vertex groups look good. Unfortunately when I choose Arm.R and press select, it show me the head of Gus. :spin:. If I try Arm.L it’s even worse.

I’m a fighter then I decide to remove all and to assign every vertice with my own hands. :yes:
But, I’m locked with the mirror modifiers (imo) and I can’t select anything without selecting the other side too.:mad:

Any idea on what I’m doing wrong ?

But, I’m locked with the mirror modifiers (imo) and I can’t select anything without selecting the other side too
The tutorial should tell you to Apply the mirror modifier (Apply button in modfifier panel) before you added the head

Right I miss the assign button.
It works now and I complete the tutorial.
Sorry, I don’t want to share my first animation. Even a gingerbread man can’t walk like that :smiley:

And, if you don’t apply the Mirror, the weights you assign to one side get mirrored on the other, so you don’t have to assign both (assuming you have that option checked on the modifier. What that means is: Don’t worry too much about the mirrored selection. Mirror (most probably) does the correct thing for you.