New Animator test animation

Update: full test scene only, not very good unfortunately, will try some different anims and scenes to get better

Update: higher quality, smoother animations, new middle part (there are some changes that are noticeable)

I started this project a couple of months ago, and would quite like some helpful comments as to what I could improve and what I should learn next to improve my animation. This is a rough draft and only my second anim, the quality is quite low I know more samples would improve it but this is only a test. I used a bit of everything whilst learning, not sure what to concentrate on.

I used blender cycles and makehuman for the models.

If anyone with experience would like to comment, kindly, on any obvious mistakes or better ways of doing things, or anyone has comments on the animation, that would be welcomed.

Original video for comparison:

One thing that I would suggest to do for tests, is to render playblasts, instead of full on cycles renders. A playblast basically renders things exactly as they are in the viewport, and is very fast. Save the cycles renders for later.

Animation is blocky. If this is a test render, animate it in BI Engine. Don’t worry about the cloth dynamics until the final render.

@Scotchtapeworm, What is playblast? Is OpenGL render animation?

@Aluminumfalcone, You research about “seed” for random noise patterns in Cycles, especially when you make your final render. From Blender 2.75 in “Render” tab, “Sampling”, to the right of “seed” field you have a button “Use different seed values”.

because its draft i dont know how to critique. Eg there is foot slippage, is it because its draft?

Thanks for the hints, I should probably use preview for making animation tests to save time, I made this in cycles as it is pretty much my first cycles render and like the look of it.

Yes, it’s a OpenGL render. The term “Playblast” is from Maya, and is used across the industry :slight_smile:

@@Animuser9:
I wish my first animations looked that good :slight_smile:
There’s a few things that stand out to me in the animation, the first one is body mechanics. Be thinking about how weight is distributed, as that’s what is mainly throwing you off. Try shooting some video referance and seeing how the hips are rotated and where they are positioned. And make sure the feet don’t slide, though some might consider that more of a polish note.

For now I wouldn’t worry about acting. I’d focus on learning one thing at a time so you don’t get overwhelmed. If you have a few dollars, I might think about this:

https://cgcookie.com/course/blender-animation-fundamentals/

It was very helpful to me when I started.

Anyway, hope this is helpful. I really like your shot cuts, and the beginning idea with the bird through the cloud was a great idea.