Dagger of time

Hi guys,

after a long time, when I didn’t play “Prince of Persia”, I started some weeks ago to play the “sands of time”-trilogy again. Inspired by several artworks of the dagger of time, the drawing below has been created.

Setup:
The core of the dagger is a transparent hollow berg crystal. In the dagger hilt, there is a sand crystal that attracts the sand of time. The red button is a ruby, that enables manipulating time. The crossguard is inspired by the Dahakar, that protects the timeline. To protect the dagger’s berg crystal blade, it is covered by a metal blade.

Functionality:
After a sand monster is killed, it’s sand is absorbed by the dagger and drawn from the point to the dagger hilt, where it stays, until the red ruby at the right side is activated to manipulate time. Then, the sands falls to the dagger point, but dissolves to the Hourglass before reaching the point.
The life-bar is the blue line from the crossguard to the top of the sting. The sand containers are the six yellow circles that are located around the crescent in the middle of the crossguard, which displays the time that can be manipulated.

You have ideas (drawing techniques, setup, material, …) to improve the image? I’m keen to know about it.

DoubleTheP

I like the handle and the metal on the finger guard. Not sure about the overall design but the light background doesn’t quite work. Dark background is needed to make things glow and there is more room to make it subtle or harsh http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=92362

Hi there,

here is an update of the image; made with Krita. Thank you JA12 for the idea with the black background; I like it.

DoubleTheP

Nice dagger DoubleTheP, I love the backstory to this, it really adds another dimension. Would some runes etched in somewhere make it look too busy? Up to you dude.

Awesome,

So I’m not the only one who still cares about prince of persia

Hi guys,

here is a new version of the dagger of time, although it’s not yet completely finished. I made some changes:
First of all, there is a quote etched to the blade, which should say “You cannot change your fate” as a reference to the “Old Man” and Shahdee. The language is Persian, according the google translator.
Secondly, there is the brand of “Prince of Persia” (PoP) with its own “Dagger of Time” (DoT) … let’s say “logo”, where the letter O is formed by two water spurts or, in reference to the dagger, two life bars from the dagger.
Finally there is title for the image, which is “We make our own destiny, princess”, which is also written in Persian at the bottom of the image. This should raise in question the quote that “You cannot change your fate”.

That’s all to the changes I made. Let’s go to the things where I still need some help. So I’ve decided that the sand within the berg crystal is the only light source in the image. And that’s where to problem starts: The cross-guard looks quiet realistic, but the metal part of the blade, for example does not. And I have no idea how to change this. Any ideas?
What do you think about the PoP-brand? I’d like to keep it golden but besides this, I’m open to other ideas. The same for the DoT-logo; the main color should stay blue but here as well; any more ideas are welcome.

Last but not least: Any ideas and opinions are welcome. :slight_smile:

DoubleTheP

Nice work mate, I love the Persian writing etched on the blade.

As for your lighting, I’m assuming the yellow sand extending into the blade is also emitting light? If so I would suggest you look at the serrated part near the top of the blade again. Some of those spikes look like they should be lit from the other side (nearest your glowing sand).

Keep it up dude - nice work.

Hi guys,

it took my quite a while to think about a story I want to tell with the deggar. For now, I think I will split the image into two to tell the story of what the prince thinkgs about the cite “You cannot change your fate”. If I’m finished, you’ll see it.

But for now I need some advice, concerning composition: I drew the composition lines of the image (red ones) and figured out, that the crossguard leads the viewer to nowhere. (the blade is obivousely pointing to the image’s name). Every composition line needs a reason to be there, so I need an object at the end of the crossguard that leads the viewer back to the crossing of blade, crossguard and pommel. Do you have any ideas, what this might be?
Besides the background I also changed the logo, it is now more playful and remembers more to goldish letters. The subtite had been translated to Persian and should have a frozen-water-with-liquid-inside-look. The gaps between the stones of the walls behind the dagger should look like as there were small yellowish and blueish tentacles, that try to take of the black gaps. It might be to much color for the background, but I’m not sure.

What do you think? Let me know. :slight_smile:

DoubleTheP

Btw: Is it possible to change the thread’s image? So to see the last updated image in this thread instead of the first uploaded one?

Attachments