List of unconventional UI decisions that you are glad the dev team made

I’ll start

1.Using a 3D cursor instead of a workplane
2.Right click select

They just make everything easier once you get used to them, especially right click(even that isn’t really that hard to get used to.)

3D cursor is amazing, and if support more transform would be better, like rotation (like an option tick)

Non overlapping windows. Love the broad design of the interface set up. The simplicity and clarity of it.

3d Cursor is awesome and makes accurate bone placement in character rigging so much easier. The option to use it as a pivot point as well is great. Wish the others had it.

Also love the right click once I got used to it. I have never found it a problem.

You can use the 3D cursor as a pivot point. I do it all the time.

the hotkey is “.”(on main keyboard) and “,” is the hotkey for bounding box center.

I luv the 3d cursor D:

@John
Who doesn’t? :smiley:

Heavy use of single-key shortcuts in a way that forces you to use them. Menus that are accessible from the keyboard. Not a “bad design” but how Blender remembers the menu items you’ve used and defaults the selection to that item.

(now, let’s start a thread of bad UI choices that you like from Maya … [crickets chirping])

Um… honestly can’t think of any. I don’t think the 3D cursor is a “bad UI decision” (but do think sticking it on the left-click was) and my position on right-click select is pretty well-known.

Perhaps a list of decisions you classify as “bad” so I can check off which we like and which we don’t because, other than the right-click selection thing (which will be changing), I don’t think I see any “bad UI decisions” actually mentioned yet.

@Shawn

Come on!
Everybody knows that maya has the best UI, let me start

1…

+1 for those.

3d cursor is very good. But I will like it better if there is an option to hide it. That red color is distracting when I have to examine my model/ scene thoroughly. Often, I have to turn on Render Only display just to use 3d cursor without having to see it. 3d cursor is still useful for me even when it is invisible in Render Only display.

And right click select, yes, that was a good decision. After I watched Andrew’s proposal, I tried left click button, and I kinda like it. After a few weeks though, I realize that my workflow is a little bit slower. At first I though it was because I haven’t get used to the left click select. But soon I understand that right click button already connected tightly with other functionalities in blender. I switched back to right click button again and never regret it.

And we’re into the direct comparison thing that gets threads shutdown. That took no time whatsoever :rolleyes:

@Btollputt

3D cursor is not a bad decision,

Read the title of the thread again, I know it’s confusing but yeah

Edit:Let me edit the title to make it more clear.

Yeah, I did read the title. You’re asking for a list of “bad” UI decisions that you are glad the dev team made. Quote/unquote.

Right-click I’ll grant you was a “bad” UI decision and apparently some people are glad the dev team made that one (though I assume half of them will be glad of the new left-click select default when it comes out too :wink: ).

I don’t know anyone that considers the 3D cursor a bad thing for the UI, let alone a bad decision to have made in that regard. Some disagreement on the input used to manipulate it, but the cursor itself? Seems everyone is at worst “ambivalent”. Perhaps I’m not getting what you mean by scare-quoting “bad”.

Is it confirmed that left click select will be default?

@double

…As long as it’s a default and not a forced option, I’m fine with it

Me too… but i just didnt realise they came to a decision about it.

Right click is deffo a nice thing xD

Yes, it will be default and yes it will be an option to switch it back.

I love blender UI and Keypresses,

only thing I would add is the ability for naysayers to setup there own setups and share them

> Split area , tab to custom, select ‘custom state’ (so you could make more then 1 custom menu)

then configure by adding buttons,

buttons use Node graphs to link to functions, or python scripts.

then anyone could make a new UI to test.