Honda B18C engine

Hello all! I’ve recently been getting into using Blender to make models for a game called Beam.NG Drive, which is a soft-body car simulation game. I’ve been developing a mod that adds a variety of different real-world engines to use in-game, and the first one I decided to model was the B18C. The models have to be relatively low-poly. I’m about 95% done with this model, but there are a few issues I’m not entirely sure on how to fix. This is also my first serious Blender project.

Here’s how it looks with baked AO textures in the Blender viewport:

And this is in-game:

As you can see, there are some weird shading problems occurring on the valve cover, as well as what appear to be edge seams on parts of the model. It would be greatly appreciated if the cause of these problems could be outlined and a solution explained. I can provide the .blend file if necessary. Thanks!

It seems like for me, the models are usually exported as smooth shaded. What you can try is add more loopcuts around the edges of the model to give more details to it.

I’m not very familiar with this, just a quess.
Edgesplit in the blender viewport render? try apply it before exporting.
then it should fit your honda

I think the problem could be fixed adding some details around that valve corner so the smooth shading can work properly.

BTW

is this a Mighty Car Mods reference?

I’ve been using edge split, although this reminded me that I haven’t been exporting with modifiers, lol… I’m also pretty much clueless on where to start regarding texturing this. I know how to UV map but I’m pretty bad at texturing. Almost seems like texturing is more work than modelling! :stuck_out_tongue:

On this low poly, you really have to make up for detail with the textures. Just go with one component at time, dont worry about neat uv maps, just have it look good and work. Looking forward seeing it progress.

Ah yay Beam NG! If you played rigs of rods, you might remember me as a modder. Anyways, for your engine, the pulleys are way to low poly compared to the rest of the parts. Remember to keep your poly density consistent. Also the lines on your AO bake, that could be caused by having your UV map too close together. The in game shading issue seems like the edge split modifier is not being applied while exporting. I would try applying it, then exporting it to see if that will fix anything. Keep up the good work!