beginner doubts

i have a device which is similar to PlayStation move motion controller and its data is stored in excel sheet, it gives me (x,y,z). on the other hand i have a character with bones and with the help of online tutorials i have designed ik bones and i can control the character. now what i want to do is import data from excel sheet to blender and move the character with respect to the data i get.

i am beginner in blender so i dont know much about it . i used blender render while designing the character . what i did was basically download a character and followed rigging up tutorials … in that tutorials they used basic bones , connected them and did inverse kinematics which gave me control over the character. now i have data from motion stick which gives roll pitch and yaw axis (i can convert it into Cartesian coordinates also) so every movement of the stick will be recorded and stored in excel … i want to import the data from excel sheet and control the character i created in blender …

It would be easiest if you could give your device a ‘normal’ interface. For example: the Arduino Pro Micro can register itself as a USB keyboard, USB mouse or USB joystick (with a little more work). This would make interfacing with it really easy.

You can’t directly work with excel sheets from python, but you can work with any plaintext format. So if you can rewrite your control software to output, say, as a comma separated value (CSV) file, you can parse that in python.

More information about the hardware and driver would be good.

thanks a ton for replying back …
well in hardware we have used a imu and used quaternion to convert it into angles with reference so i will be saving these angles in .csv file(i am receiving it from com port and saving it in .csv file) . so the angles are going to change when the imu moves. since all the angles are stored in .csv file i need to import that data and move the character i have created in blender. its similar to gait analysis where i am using blender for visualization purpose .

What hardware is reading the IMU and passing it to the computer? As I said, it may be possible for it to appear directly as an input device.

Not that I recommend storing data in excel sheets, but there’s 3rd party libs for reading them with Python. I used one at my old job and it worked OK.