Need help choosing a camera for shooting scenes to add vfx into in blender

I need suggestions for a camera to record live action with green screen that I can then import into blender. I am preferably looking for a 1080p 60fps camera that’s easy to use and not so hard on the budget as I am a beginner when it comes to filming. Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

“hard on the budget” Do you have a budget in your head, a number? Any ideas on what kind of lens?

My budget is around 500$ or less. For the lense i am deciding between a wide angle lense and a standard lense as i am hoping to make my own textures out in a forest and also be able to record video indoors for green screening.

At that price I would go for a Canon Rebel series. T3i-T4i-T5i would be my suggestion.

Also i’m not sure there is any decent DSLR in that range that will be 60p. You will most likely have to settpe for 1080p30

I use a Panasonic GH3 and have done a lot of green screen work with it. At the moment B&H has the GH3 for $600, which isn’t much more than a t5i as previously suggested. Compared to the t5i, the GH3 has higher bit rate, significantly sharper video, and of course 1080/60p. Also, the GH3 is much easier to use for video than Canon DSLRs, in terms of button and menu layouts (in my opinion). On the other hand, the Magic Lantern hack for Canon cameras has good reviews, and Canon’s color science is fantastic.

Lots of DSLRs in that price range have 1080/60p; Canon is almost the only brand not implementing 60p and/or 4k in cheap cameras. Samsung NX300, NX500, Nikon D3300 (on sale at B&H) all have 60p. However, for VFX you really need as high a bitrate as possible, and the cameras I mentioned might not cut it (I’ve never used any of them), so some research might be in order. There is a difference between having a feature and doing it properly.

1 Like