Is there an add-on for generating LOD iterations ?

I have been going through Unity tutorials/docs, and it seems like there is no LOD stuff for terrains as in Blender.

So I am wondering if there is an add-on for Blender that would slice terrain mesh into user-defined number of chunks and generate decimated copies for each (again, user defined number of LOD iterations) in such a way that transition between the chunks is seamless, and gives each set a logical name.

This way all that goodness can be batch-exported and then the LOD algorithm could be done in Unity to hide / reveal LOD iterations based on the distance.

Obviously it can be done manually, but if there are 50+ terrain pieces it would be quite unproductive doing it all by hand.

Looking through the team project’s Tron-R repository I found a script to reflect by pre-rendering from a camera and then putting that image on a texture I think this is more suitable for huge environments as a matter of fact I’m trying the do the same for all kinds of object’s so I can have fast running mmo with Millions of datasets interacting but being shared by images through php cloud hosted service (sql database), so here’s basicly what I’ve gathered from the source of the reflection script,
tex0=bge.texture.Texture(owner,0,0);
tex0.source=texture.ImageRender(scene,camera);
tex0.source.capsize=[size[0],size[1]];
tex0.refresh(True);
so I’ve been trying to render alot of angle’s of object’s and make a sparsible logic to its shape for representation by plane’s in the distance or simplified geometries(very difficult to do dynamically), then I’d like to make bones split complex objects in the distance into pieces for sprite movements, conclusively this project would allow you to keep your model safe from prying mmo users and only distribute images of it’s movement in images( shape keys would be a pain though).Also see this thread:

blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?380010-change-to-binary-types-for-large-datasets
for a dynamic shell to program in from the bge.

That’s not quite what I need and it’s not for BGE.

I noticed there is a vertex group parameter in Decimate modifier, but it doesn’t work as expected. I thought it preserves vertices in a group from decimation, but unfortunately it doesn’t :confused: