Blender User Satisfaction Survey

Hi! This is a survey to rate user satisfaction. This is mainly to satisfy my own curiosity, but since I’ll publish the result, it can be used to improve Blender! :smiley:

http://goo.gl/forms/H7eFPbWKIL

Thanks!!

Most people don’t know how many developers contribute to Blender. Do you know? Answer here http://goo.gl/forms/H7eFPbWKIL

Nope. Not satisfied at all. Consider Blender a complete waste of time. I fill it up on my hard drive for no apparent reason, and waste countless hours moving points around in 3D space for no real reason at all…

Yes, I suspect most people here have a horrible experience :cool:

Don’t mean to be a pain here, but are you posting links to this survey elsewhere and encouraging responses from other communites? Surveys based on self-selected respondents are notoriously bad. One asking about satisfaction of a product only linked in a forum for people that like the product is not going to get anything close to accurate. It’s like asking a church congregation whether they love Jesus, the audience is a tad biased and the results a waste of time :wink:

So you are posting a survey about whether or not they are satisfied with blender… on Blender Artists?

I don’t mean to sound like a dick but,

It’s kind of like going to the church and asking the people inside if they were Christians.

Funny you should say that. :wink:

@Btolputt,

Wow, I literally said the same thing as you without noticing.

The funny thing is that this church sometimes seems full of atheists/agnostics. So I think your User Satisfaction Survey can work well in this forum :wink:

No, you have one or two trouble-makers, a handful more people willing to speak out against unquestioning adherence to dogma, and the vast majority not saying much of anything simply turning up to hear the sermon. Aside, perhaps, from the trouble-makers they still share a common faith. :wink:

This will only be useful if Ton and the core team treated it as valid feedback (which may or may not be likely since your response in post number 4 suggests a strong starting bias).

Blender so far has done anything I intended for it to do, even if I have to fight it a bit to make it spit out the desired results.

:smiley: It’s a good question I guess, I mean you could go into a Mosque and ask if there are any Christians there… right before you get chased out with a mob with pitch-forks.

church
[SUB]tʃəːtʃ/[/SUB]
noun

• a building used for public Christian worship.
  • a particular Christian organization with its own clergy, buildings, and distinctive doctrines.
  • the hierarchy of clergy within a particular Christian Church.

Just sayin’ :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue: I think you missed the irony.

mosque
mɒsk/
noun
noun: mosque; plural noun: mosques

• a Muslim place of worship.

@Beer

Because,

The same reason
Americans “hate” the USA
or
Egyptians “hate” Egypt,
or
Sony fans ““Hate”” the PS4

They don’t really hate it, they love it in fact, but they are willing to acknowledge it’s flaws,

I love blender but erm… yeah…
Some things that are common place in other 3D applications aren’t available here

Ex,The ability to draw splines as if it were a pen tool(hold on, let me do some research, make a thread about it)

Or a UI that doesn’t scare people away (Now I don’t really think blender’s UI is in any way bad to be honest but then again I have the same opinion on the Windows 8 start menu.)

I think it makes sense to ask a community that actually use the software.

Just because you use it doesn’t mean that you have to be a diehard fan that is unable to criticize it (although that does occur I guess)

An interesting survey, but one that I felt could have given a few more options…here and there.

One thing I would suggest - stop relying on quantitative data so much! Allow some qualitative information from the participant to elaborate what they really know and think regarding a subject. For example, why do we feel that the developers “should” or “should not” be paid to develop Blender? If an overwhelming majority say “no they shouldn’t be paid” then all you have to report back is “Nope. You shouldn’t be paid.” which only serves to deal out frustration and negativity towards the community from the developers. BUT if the majority added “Well, I thought the Cloud service and Donations already paid for them to develop Blender? Are they STILL not getting paid? Is that what this is about?” then it might be a case of confusion amongst the community at large as to what the situation is. Not everyone using Blender is going to be up to date on the facts of what goes on at the Foundation, so maybe some elaboration is required.

In a nutshell; mix it up a bit by offering options but also a comment box.

I actually answered “no” to the “should developers get paid”. What I meant was, as a FLOSS project, I don’t believe that the main motivation should be money to contribute back. I fully believe that the main developers should be payed, as they are 100% committed (half/full time) to work on Blender, including bug fixing, patch review and documentation. As SamusDrake says, it would be nice to be able to comment on answers, as just a “no” can seem very negative.

Protip: When the question reads “should developers get paid” and you mean something else than “developers should not get paid”, DON’T ANSWER NO.

I’m not even a Blender developer, but the mere fact that there are people that believe developers should not get paid to develop FOSS makes me angry. I also disagree with “the main motivation should not be money”. To this I ask you, what money? There is so little money in developing Blender, you’d have to be an idiot to do it just for the money. There are also so few jobs related to CG, earning experience developing for Blender (instead of something else) is a career disadvantage. Developing for Blender already is a labor of love for simple economic reasons.

Also, how exactly are Blender developers contributing back? They are contributing, but a great deal of them are not even real users. It’s not like Blender is a library that programmers use, to which they can contribute back with improvements. But most importantly, who are you to decidewhat the motivation for developing Blender should be? What are you contributing?

With beer in this one,

We really have to get out of this entitled attitude.