Blender 3D Cookbook - Building characters from scratch in Blender

Hello everyone,

here I am again for a new shameless self-promotion!
Since the end of July, my “Blender 3D Cookbook”, edited from Packt Publishing, is finally out:

This 600 pages manual is based on the ultimate 2.7 series of Blender and illustrates the workflow to create from scratch the monster creature Gidiosaurus, a fictional humanoid biped reptilian warrior, almost 2 meters tall, with scaled skin and wearing a sort of simple medieval armor.

So, in this book you’ll see all the stages that a character’s creation workflow usually undergoes in production pipelines based on Blender: starting from concept sketches used as reference templates for the modeling and sculpting; going through the re-topology, UDIM unwrapping, rigging, textures painting, baking and UDIM shading stages (both in Cycles and in Blender Internal); and finally ending with the lighting, the rendering of a simple walk cycle animation and the use of the NLA, and also a bit of compositing.

At the above linked Packt page you can find the whole table of contents (chapters and recipes list; click on the “Read More” button towards the bottom of the page).

Hope you’ll find it interesting!

Looks really nice and at a good price.

Nice work mate! But, what do you think about your broken copyrights? I mean, I saw already your book in torrent trackers. Actually, what do you do that after that?BTW: But, I didn’t download it from any trackers. Just report about it to you.

Thanks for the comments, guys. :slight_smile:
@the muslim: woah, I didn’t know… thanks for reporting, even if I’m afraid I can’t do much about that. In any case, I doubt that in the torrent they have also all the color hi-res images and all the blend files provided by Packt with the cookbook.

Just one more note, because maybe it’s not clear from the posted images: the Gidiosaurus model is not only the head, it’s a whole figure model:

Click on the image to see it at bigger resolution.

Nice looking book! Might have to pick this up next month! I’m especially interested in your UDIM workflow.

@ fahr: thanks for comment! :slight_smile:
My UDIM workflow is really simple, it’s a workaround based on different materials; it works perfectly, also for the textures painting stage, both in Cycles as in Blender Internal. I tested it extensively during my collaboration to the “Tip the Mouse” production (by Studio Bozzetto), that was based on a Maya pipeline, even if Blender didn’t (and still doesn’t) support the UDIM standard.

Here are some screenshots demonstrating the UDIM textures painting working both under Cycles and BI:

Once I get some money together, I’m buying this book.

@XeroShadow: thanks!

Here a couple of new images about the Cycles shaders described in the cookbook:

Click on the image to see it at full resolution.

Congratulations Enrico for your new book!

@Harvester: thanks!

Good job Enrico and good luck with your new book! :slight_smile:

Awesome job! Everything looks so great!

Bernardo and Dominik523: thanks a lot!

Got a nice review on the Amazon site: http://www.amazon.com/Blender-3D-Cookbook-Enrico-Valenza-ebook/dp/B00YSIKTQK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438610412&sr=8-2&keywords=blender+3d+cookbook#customerReviews

Hello !

I just bought two books you made on PacktPub, and wanted to tell everybody that there is currently a 5$ sale over there :slight_smile: This made me jump on my chair as I’m looking for current Blender material to make the transition from 3DS Max.

Thanks !

Hello Mizu, thanks a lot to you! :slight_smile:

On a related note, seems that somebody is also having some issues buying the book through Amazon, I suggest the interested ones to buy it directly on the Packt Publishing website.

Happy Holidays and New Year to everyone.