Manga Style Female/Explorer

After along time not doing anything outside of experimentation in blender. I’m here with another well manga style character. This one is for some project I’m doing with my lego robotics students.

The idea is creating a character to be a guide in a visual novel style cave diagram.

I’m trying to do NPR with cycles and experimenting with freestlye as well. I need advise for this Cycles NPR. Anyone tried it or should i go back doing it in BI.

PS. I have some things i still could not get with freestyle - How can i make it render the chin in front view? I checked my last thread and found out that the last time i posted here is 3 years ago i think facepalm so long.

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

Attachments

If you’re doing Cycles to experiment, I’d say: go for it! Otherwise, I think BI is faster and simpler when it comes to NPR (as long as you stay away from that horrible toon shader :D)

I’d like to offer you advice on Freestyle, but that is a complex beast that I tend not to use, because it doesn’t play at all with panoramic cameras (and I soooo love them for action scenes and scenery shots!).

Nice doll. Let’s see it in action!

Experiment result, trying to use toon bsdf + color ramp. I’ll tweak this to see if would like soft shade or hard shade.

@Ovnuniarchus - Thanks, I will add armature tom and well her shoes as well. I guess as soon as i figured out the right toon setting for me. Yes this is pretty much cycles npr experiment, if i could not get a good result I might go back to BI.

Update: Experiment on toon shading in cycles is turning well. The shadows are too dark for my taste. As of now Im partially liking the one with no freestyle line in it. Is there a way to influence the shadow color in toon bdsf?

There are still things i need to model, pants pocket etch… Another set of clothes as well.

Attachments

With the new cloth.

Finally got to rig her, some test pose here.

Face Rig :slight_smile:

Done most of the rig :slight_smile:
Todo:

1. some shapekeys
  2. fixing the teeth and tounge
  3. creating a version using BI.
  4. Poses XD /
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]397960[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Update :slight_smile: I posed her a for a bit.

Attachments

On the design side I think the eyes are a bit far from each other… or at least with the pupils I think.

The character does look a bit cross eyed. You will have to realign the eyes a bit.

Thanks :), I was thinking on what is wrong with her face, never occurred to me that it was the eyes.

Some update, i was checking my old works and trying to figure out how i can make cycles material to look similar to my BI material nodes.

So I pick her up and saved into a BI version.

PS: I discover 2 things while rigging her hand, 1 I screwed at modelling it , 2 the arm proportion is wrong.

It looks good now. I was wondering about the specular in her eyes, is that natural or a texture? It gives a nice effect.

The specular on the eye is from the area lamp I use to light up the scene :).

I do like the toning in that. Been trying to develop mine for a while now.