Challenge #635 (21/8/15) Entries CLOSED

Theme #635 for Friday 21st of August 2015 is: mythical creatures

Entry closes at 22:30 GMT or 16:30 CST, Monday 24th of August 2015.

Hello,
This is my PURE entry for this week. “Anubis”

background image from wikipedia

“Striped Unicorn”
Non-competing. Cycles. 600 Samples.

This one bears resemblance to a snow leopard I did once, but this unicorn is all new. The background field is comped from a previous WEC entry I made titled ‘Dreams of Death’. HDRI image visible in eyeballs from sibl.

cool topic. wish I had time this weekend.

photox that looks like a dog on drugs… xD looks good :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Isn’t that the truth.

Since I chosen this theme, my entry is not participant. It is called “Unleashed”. Pure, I hope you guys like it.

Here is a different composition of the same scene. The background image is not mine.

Here is my non-competing entry:

Dragon

http://www.artofinterpretation.com/images3/wc635-Dragon-byrjt2015.jpg

(image updated)

Pure Blender, as usual.

RobertT

Robert can you record one of your projects and upload a timelaps? i really want to see your workflow. how do you get so interesting designs every time?

Thanks. I spend most of my Blender time considering and trying to envision a project approach, imagining how it might look, and then, when there’s that certain sense of direction and inspiration, I just dive in and start working at things.

My workflow is nothing special, just modelling, trying different things, re-rendering constantly and making adjustments to everything (lights, composition, etc.) until it just comes together and feels right.

The far more exciting stuff is envisioning it all, and that could be fun to screencast.

RobertT

Looked a bit like a “Sparkly stone” statue to me–then I saw the “hairy beard”—(What the heck?)—then I surmised that the texture on the rest was FUR.I would round the shoulder a bit where it meets the arm and the angular ridge in the chest to 'soften" the 'stone statue" effect. The highlights on the fur look a bit too “metallic” and looked like gold flecks in stone. Experiment with the fur texture and gloss a bit. Also use a MODEL (a picture of the animal AND of Anubis) for reference. As a paint artist myself, I know that its hard to get accuracy “painting out of your head” No matter how good, they always seem a bit “strange” in ways you cannot quite “grasp”. I always use photos to refer to.

Would not the eyes be on the SIDE of the head like a horse or goat, rather than on the front, like a predatory animal?

@TomRay, This is a competition. Basically short time available so fast modeling/designs, very free interpretations, mostly a lot of art and little realism, much work purely made with Blender… So these entries are mainly to participate with your work, and/or to vote the work you like.

Sky Chess

Chess pieces tend to be abstract, so I got away with half modeling. Pure entry, cycles, 1000 samples.

Dragon could be the cover of a Judas Priest album.

Here is my entry, I used Blender with a little bit of Photoshop.

Giant Remains

I updated my entry (above).

fcharr: Great idea, a stylized mythological chess set!

opulenthawk: Nice! I tend to prefer the first (darker) render, but both have a lot of action in them. The Kraken is definitely a tough one to conceptualize / create, especially in the limits of the WC, but you did nicely there.

Photox: I enjoy the close-up treatment here, and what you’ve done with the fur. Fur has always been difficult to work with hair or fur on my laptop, and not much better on my desktop PC, when it came to previewing or rendering it at half or full density. I’ve upgraded my desktop graphics card last week and will have to see if it’s more doable now. So many areas of Blender I’ve yet to explore to the fullest extent =)

3dnotguru: I like your take on Anubis. Developing any kind of character or creature, even the beginnings of one, over a weekend, is a real challenge, and I always admire artists when they take on those challenges and create something unique and interesting as you have.

Modron: I would love to see something from you on this topic if you got the chance.

Hopefully we’ll get to see some more entries!

Have a great week, everyone!

RobertT

A competing Pure entry entitled “Little Ghost”

Entirely sculpted using Dyntopo.
Everyone has done awesome artworks! :smiley:

“Cerberus was a chihuahua” , pure entry:

Am i the only who in texture paint mode have a serious bug with the "bleed " function, rendering it near unusable?
If i set it at 0 is working ok but near the seams is not painting, as more o less intended. If i set more than 0 i obtain a lot of artifacts ruining the whole texture.
If i understand correctly this bug was marked as something like “better to rewrite the whole texture paint mode” than fix this single one…

edit:
@LiquidHelix: it’s in the texture paint options. Thank you!
I discovered that the source to those artifacts was also the bad uv : i did the smart UV unwrapping but some faces in the UV layout were overlapping.