Hair patchiness.

I seem to be having the same problem with all my models lately. I have attached a simple mesh of some fake reindeer ears with the same problem. As soon as I add hair its patchy. When I go into particle edit mode, I cant add hair to the patchy spots – it just wont do anything. Combing works and other tools, but I cant add hair. I wasn’t able to upload my previous model which was doing this too, but it turned out that I didn’t apply the scaling to that one. This one I have but I think there must be some sort of setting which is causing this?

antlers3.blend (3.81 MB)

Your problem is object dimension , hairs are picky when it comes to object dimension. The antlers are bigger than the real ones at ~7 meters tall.
So scale the object down to what you think is a reasonable dimension also antlers are too thin for good hair distribution so fatten them up.
Now to get rid of the patches on the children panel change the Endpoint to ~0.020 and the Endpoint Shape to 0.500 and reduce number of children to ~50.

This are the antlers scaled at about 1.4 meter tall.

Thankyou, that was the problem. There’s so much to consider, but it is slowly starting to make sense - always so obvious when its explained! Thanks again :slight_smile: