Grouping objects without linking them

Honestly, I could not draw a matchstick man in blender 2 days ago :slight_smile:

Then I found the tutorials from BornCG from this forum an in 48 hours I created this

Now I have run into a problem with the Array Modifier.

I created a beer can… actually in 4 objects: the can, the lid, the opening mechanism and the peg to hold it in place.

I linked the objects parent/child: Everything is child to the beer can. So if I move the can everything moves with it (useful for animation later, no?)

Now I want to make a pack of beers :slight_smile: so I make an array 3 and an array 8 of beers of the beer can (Root object). I expected all objects to be duplicated but it seems only the can gets duplicated but the children are forgotten.

What am I doing wrong? Am I Too stupid? is there anyway to do what I want to do?

Any input Appreciated

p.s. I use blender 2.73 A

One option is to add the objects to a group.
Add an empty and set the object duplication to Group and select the previous group name. The empty will now be an instance of the group of objects
You can then dupliface or duplivert this empty to a subdivided plane to add this instanced group of objects to each face of the plane

Demo:

Alternatively you could add the same array modifier to each of the individual objects

In the preferences panel, there are options on the duplicate button. Maybe turning everything on might work. But grouping everything will always work^