Urf's Clay Sculpting Sketchbook

Another Doris fan here! She inspired me to try real sculpting to better understand form and bring that knowledge back to 3d.

Over the last week I have played with poly clay, air dry clay, and earthenware clay.

My first ever sculpts here

Those were air dry clay. This stuff was a joy to use but the end result is a crumbly dusty mess that ended up in the trash…

Then I tried out some super sculpey firm -

Fun to use but too stiff - his beak broke and had to glue it back on. Its a crazy thin spot but wanted to test its durability.

I was hooked so I went to the clay store and tried to get some WED Clay but they were out, instead came home with earthenware low fire clay. THERE ARE A MILLION TYPES OF CLAY…I had no idea. :slight_smile:

If you by chance stumble in here Doris, a sincere thank you for all you have done in this community. I have a lot to learn but can see how this will help me 10 fold when coming back to do 3D sculpting.

Feedback is welcome. I am looking forward to bringing back more clay dust into this thread. :smiley:

Earthenware clay

Stitches from Heroes of the Storm

Do you do those over some kind of armature? Stitiches came out looking pretty good.

I used wires for the first 4. The clay shrinks A LOT and when it does the wire inside gives the clay no room for shrinking so it shrinks to the outside. They cracked so bad they were worthless. After those 4 I didnt use wire on any of em and so far so good they are holding up.

I know you can use wire on the Sculpey poly clay style products and intend to give that a try.

Thank you for the compliments on Stitches. Im proud of that one considering I’ve been doing this less than a week :slight_smile:

Practice with Super Sculpey. So hard…

Nice work Urf :). I particularly like your Stitches model, some good detailing. I bet it’s quite messy doing clay modelling?

This is my favorite art type it’s real it’s simple and every one can make something out of it quick er then in any other arts. Good to model head and after that check how shading affect each shape. I would like to see more your art in here or on instagram.