Discrete Fishing by Thatimst3r

Download***v0.2 Updated (Google Drive)

Bug fixes:
-removed debug properties
-fixed chest detection bug
-fixed easter egg
-Fixed duplicating menu

Excuses
***So I would have submitted last night however the local internet cabinet got rain in it and I haven’t had internet for the past 14 hours (also why I couldn’t upload anything to my channel).
Hopefully it isn’t too late!

What is the Game about?
***Helping a mysterious blue fisherman guide his hook into the depths in search for dinner, and, if you are lucky, treasure.

AVOID the rubbish and try collect as many fish as possible!
Your best score will be saved!

Technical Information
***-The plants, fish, rubbish and bubbles are all randomly generated, no game will be the same.
-Resolution is windowed 540x810 (1/4 of vertical 1080p)
-Controls: left arrow + right arrow + space
-Was built on windows 7 (but should work on any OS)
-Built with Blender 2.74
-You don’t need blender play the game
-Extract the whole file before playing!
-Esc to quit
-If only you knew who that fisherman is…that would be golden.
-Build time: 6 days

Credits
***Me (thatimst3r): The game, all textures.
Eric Matyas: menu music and game music.
Easter egg music: Nekozilla [NCS]
Sound effects: www.soundbible.com

Hope you enjoy it :D, this feels like a proper “complete” game, which feels good to say.
Let me know what you think and if you find any bugs.
Gameplay video will hopefully be up asap.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Attachments

Hehe, such fun game. My high score is 28, I reached jellyfish, but I am not sure if they’re good or bad…

Awesome glad you liked it :smiley:
All ‘fish’ are good, in the catch menu everything on the right is good everything on the left is bad.

You will need to sink deeper for the easter egg ;).

You created a nice game ,I enjoyed:)

Cool, I was waiting for all the remaining entries to be submitted before I put together a pack for voting.
I’ll do it tomorrow, so if you’ve got any bugs to fix it should be before then. :smiley:

@Smoking_mirror do we have one more day then?

Thanks, glad you liked it, I’ll be sure to try out your entry as well!

half a day would probably be more accurate, you did start later than everyone else though so I’m sure a couple of improvements shouldn’t be an issue, just make sure Smoking_mirror has access to the game for putting the package together.

Found Bug: one of the scripts was missing the line scene = bge.logic.getCurrentScene(), also a check for the hook state was missing, updating the download file now.

I tried to get to the bottom but the fish are too big. Very good job

In my opinion using KX_GameObject built in scene method is much easier.

cont = bge.logic.getCurrentController()
own = cont.owner
scene = own.scene

:wink:

Thanks! Yeah they do get a little large but can only catch on by their mouths, you can pass through their bodies.

Interesting, I’ll try using that instead next time

This one was my favourite game:) Keep up the good work!

Really great game!
Lots of good ones this time around.

There was some z-fighting where some sprites overlapped each other, but not to much of a problem.
When making games with sprites it’s good to give them a bit of an offset on the view axis so that some always draw behind others. You can make it better by using a incremental value to set the offset, so the first fish is placed with a 0.01 offset on the y axis, then the next has a 0.02 offset… once you get to 1.0, you can start going backwards; 0.09 etc…

I got the Easter egg. :smiley: and my top score was 104 points.
I’m glad I suggested the Easter egg thing, it’s really given me more motivation to play through all the games to get the most out of them.

I got easter egg and high score is 96 points…

Awesome glad you liked it!

The z-fighting is also an issue occasionally with multiple bags/boots spawning on top of each other. Regarding the ‘caught’ items however, I was initially thinking of running a for loop through each of them when a new item is caught (as these are written to and from a file) and just incrementing the z by 0.001 or something, however I ran out of time.

My top score is 114 with the easter egg (50 points). The easter egg challenge made the project a little bit more fun to work with, this bgmc has been great!
I hope Monster plays through this sometime :smiley:

Nice, did you collect any rubbish? Tires(-4) and boots(-3) you want to avoid as they can really drag down the score.