Real or 3D generated?

In my search for retirement communities, I came across this “virtual tour” of houses in one retirement community. Since I picked up Blender as a hobby a couple of years ago, it crossed my mind this “virtual tour” was done in a 3d program like Blender. I was wondering if a Blender expert could take a quick look and see what I mean. I’ve seen the same “virtual tours” of interior house for sale on other web sites. If it is 3d generated, could you tell what program was used to make the scenes, and what program is used for the user interactive manipulation on the web site?

http://www.ontopoftheworldcommunities.com/vtours/Argyll/

These 3d tours are not modelled in a 3d applications, that would be far too expensive
Do you think that Google made a 3d model of the world for its street view

You can use software to stitch together photos, such as http://www.easypano.com/

Thanks for responding and answering my question. I didn’t know anything about easypano, and the term “virtual” made me think it was probably made in a 3d program. Because I know Andrew Price does this stuff. So thanks for providing the link. I don’t use Google street views. I wonder if I can get a Google street view of Retirement communities. Why do you think they used real images of the interiors but opted to use “Render is artist concept only” images for all their models’ exteriors?

I’ve done virtual tours for clients using Blender, Maya and/or 3DsMax, and is not as expensive as Richard says it is.

These type of tours are needed when the construction of an apartment building hasn’t even started yet but they want to sell the apartments before hand. So you make a couple of stills for merchandising purposes, and some more renders in a lower quality to create the 360 image with easypano, or a similar software.

Also, with all this virtual reality and augmented reality stuff, people always prefer to see a virtual space (and being able to “explore it”) instead of just still renders or a video tour.

Here’s an example of something similar I worked on used to show the virtual space on an Ipad:

All the 3d was made in Blender, and the app for IOS and Android was made in Unity

In the example you posted, those seems to be pictures of the actual place.

This example is nothing like the type of visual quality as in the original video posted. To see the actual house being sold you would not make a perfect replica in a 3d application. For a concept or for a new house build where the final object does not exist then you would obviously make renders, for an already furnished house you’re trying to sell use a camera, quicker and cheaper. The example in the first post is really just an extension to the normal property photos you’d have done anyway when selling a house.

That’s why I said this type of work is needed when the actual place hasn’t been builded yet, as a sales helper.

And that’s also why I said that the example he provided was created with photos of the house, not renders. The fact that the example provided wasn’t made in 3D doesn’t mean it can’t be done in 3D, even if it is expensive.

I found out Google street views don’t include retirement communities. Anyway, I once did a Blender tutorial by Andrew Price. And he mentioned how there are jobs for people who can create 3d architectural designs on a computer. I liked the way my Blender image came out. I don’t know if that 3d project could be used with easypano. I’m not interested in doing it (I have enough on my plate with trying to learn Blender). But could it be done with a model like this?

http://fav.me/d5mnlsp

one other thing that gives it away is the fact that you cant walk anywhere in the building. if it was made in a 3d software then it would be just as easy to make you able to walk around.

so its real.

Given that architects use 2D and 3D modeling programs to do their work, it is actually a relatively straightforward thing to produce data files from which models can be built … and “architectural visualizations” produced, to show the client or (if the plans have been approved) potential residents. “Blender” may or may not be the tool used.

Having said this … every project is different. Sometimes, you 3D-render something that does not yet exist. Sometimes, you stitch together film. Often, you do both.

This post does everything to prove Marklew is a jerk.

yes he’s such a jerk that he spends time every day answering peoples questions in the support section for free…including yours. :wink:

A lot of users spend their free time here answering questions, me included. And that isn’t an excuse to be rude to others. Especially if your answers are misguiding or incomplete.