BGMC 17 | A Walk for Water

This time I took water above my head. I’ve had so many big problems with this, which had made this process less fun than the last time. This game is more of a tutorial level. It were suppose to having some other mechanics and cutscenes (a lot of then is so buggy, therefore i felt it was better to give you a small working version instead).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndvcjdnhaqlqfp0/BGMC17_Deeempa89_CORRECT.zip?dl=0

For some reason i’m not able to include the .zip-file at the moment. Working on in. Strange.

Edit: Here’s a link to the file on Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndvcjdnhaqlqfp0/BGMC17_Deeempa89_CORRECT.zip?dl=0

ok, and what have you planned to buy for the 100 bucks?

animation is great, the character is great, the feeling is great. the only thing i didn’t got till now is the gameplay.

The biggest challange with doing a game that takes place in the desert without any violence (felt free to do so) was to come up with things to do. The things that were included was to cool yourself down in diffrent ways, this was hide in the shadows and drink water (which you pick up from oasis). I wanted to avoid to have any bars, therefor he walks very… very much like he needs water. among those things I didn’t were able to finish do a lot of problems was a few short cutscenes (animated, but had some problems so they isn’t included) and more hallucinations. The main thing that was left out was the fact that you gave your son water and he began to follow you, this ment you had to share your water with him and make sure non of you fainted.

There was also a storyline that doesn’t really show off now which was about the father and the son looking for he’s wife. (This part could somehow be seen in the Work in progress video in the W.I.P.). Hopefully you like the feeling and look!

This is cool. The tutorial text is a little late. I often died before I got the “press space to drink”. I also fell off the terrain. You guys aren’t going to make it easy to choose who to vote for. :cool:

I beat it. Great job for one week!

What does hiding in the shadows do?

Thank you! I take that feedback and fix those problem later. When you stand in the shadows for a while it has the same effect as drinking water, this means in practices that it’s like you got three zips of water extra (an alternative for when there’s no water available.

Oh, just figured out how to do cutscenes the right way. Off course to late. I was stuck in the thought that I should have ingame animations in the same scene. The better way to do this was to suspend the gameplay scene and adding an overlay scene with an animation (and add run Amateur to be able to use IK). Then have a delay that deactivates the cutscene-scene and resuming the gameplay. Having it as an overlay scene doesn’t cause any noticeable lack from gameplay to cutscene and back. You learn a lot from these competitions.

Good luck to everyone!

Looks like I think Mine has better shading, but I don’t think the game play could be any worse then mine. Looks good haven’t played yet dowloading at the monent can’t wait.

Nice! , the atmosphere of the desert , there just me missing a collision cameras and also character has too much polygon hair could be simpler spare you a lot of polygons, to cut scenes you can change with hipoly hair:)

Really great, I drowned! Unexpected way to die in the desert. :slight_smile:

cool game. simple but cool. kinda sad at the end

Very cool and immersive, I thought the music near the oasis was great and the cutscenes at the end added to the ‘finishing touch’.

I’m happy to hear that you think A Walk for Water is immersive and has a great atmosphere. I’ve had so much trouble with this and wasn’t even go to submit for a while.

I agree that the camera doesn’t work too well and if I do a new version of this in the future (which I’m thinking about) that would be fixed. About the hair… Did you had a problem with the framerate? If that’s the reason I could spare some, right now their there so you’re able to see the wind in the hair while watching how much water you’ve got left.

And I got to admit something embarrassing. Throughout the making of this game I had problems with the facial rigs, which in the end was cutout. The problem was because it’s hard to do great expressions with bones, and takes time. About five years ago I tried to make a game that included a shape key, but back that it wasn’t something that worked in BGE. Guess what? Shape keys is available in Blender game Engine. I’ve cast curse words so many times for nothing. Silly me. I’m for sure going to take use of this, for me, new knowledge.

I’m happy to hear that you think A Walk for Water is immersive and has a great atmosphere. I’ve had so much trouble with this and wasn’t even go to submit for a while.

I agree that the camera doesn’t work too well and if I do a new version of this in the future (which I’m thinking about) that would be fixed. About the hair… Did you had a problem with the framerate? If that’s the reason I could spare some, right now their there so you’re able to see the wind in the hair while watching how much water you’ve got left.

And I got to admit something embarrassing. Throughout the making of this game I had problems with the facial rigs, which in the end was cutout. The problem was because it’s hard to do great expressions with bones, and takes time. About five years ago I tried to make a game that included a shape key, but back that it wasn’t something that worked in BGE. Guess what? Shape keys is available in Blender game Engine. I’ve cast curse words so many times for nothing. Silly me. I’m for sure going to take use of this, for me, new knowledge.

If I didn’t had all this problems and lack of knowledge there would be more cutscenes, three shorter already done. One there he pick up he’s son cap and calls for him. A lock of work was lost in this smaller version, for example that the kid was able to follow you and a fully rigged wife. However, I’m happy that I’m handed in something.

If you do a shape keyed face, you can have the head separate and parent it to the head bone.
Or get the bone channel in python and copy the world position and orientation of the head bone for the head object. Then you cna make a mix of bones and shapekeys.

I know facial rigs are hard, it’s been a long time since I even tried it. :smiley:

I was thinking about having the head separated from the body (sounds horrible), the main reason would be to get a better performance. My guess, which could be totally wrong, is that every shape key is like having another mesh of the same kind (except for that it doesn’t require a new texture). If this is true, it would result in that a 2000 poly model would be 10 000 with five different shape keys if you count the base as one. This sounds a bit absurd, got to try it out. Get rid off some demons. Still… I’m thinking that I would give a better performance if that head is separated. Does anyone know more about how shape keys works in BGE?

I tried them once, found they kind of worked and didn’t go back to them. It’s just not something I usually use…
Someone must have some experience though, you could try in the main game engine support and discussion forum.

This probably had to have been my favorite game of the competition.

I haven’t read any of the comments on this thread, so it may have already been posted, but one of the Oasis’ was all glitchy for some reason.
screenshot

Saw the tree floating from a distance, and then found out I was able to walk into the water. Fell through the ground and and got stuck. Was using 2.72, if that changes anything.

Other than that, I loved it. Has great atmosphere, character model and animations were great, and the gameplay was executed perfectly. (Except for the late text hint pop-ups, as already mentioned)