BGMC 17 | Super RC Boat Racing

Super RC Boat Racing (SRCBR) is a racing/combat/arcade game with RC (Remote Controlled) boats. You have to get the 1st place to win the game (like any other racing game). But you have pickups, that means you can shoot missiles, stop time, sabotage, use shields, etc…
The game is based on Crash Team Racing by Naughty Dog, my favorite game.

Screens:

Download [version 1.1] (Blender 2.75 only!!): https://www.dropbox.com/s/vtrdhmst80sazhd/SRCBR.zip
To play the game: Open “THEgame.blend” then press P at full screen :smiley:

• PS: Please use Blender 2.75, just to make sure you won’t experience any problems.
  • PS²: If you experience any lag, try to disable the SSAO filter on the main camera of the GAME scene.

Controls:

WASD/Arrows - Move boat
SPACE - Use pickup
Mouse - Menu actions

I hope you like it, and thanks for playing :slight_smile:

Attachments

So, I was playing, and all the boat models are invisible, I didn’t really look into it though.

Hey, really impressive! A few things could do with fixing before I put it in the pack for voting (You’ve got a day or two):
The game never finished, when I got to lap 5 it just keeps going. Maybe just a blank screen with “You win!” or “You lose!” would be enough to give some feeling of completeness.
I love the way the names are shown above each player, but there’s a bug there. When you use getScreenPosition it will get objects behind you as being in front. So the names are floating up on the screen when the enemy is behind you out of shot. To get around that just do a vector angle check, compare the y axis of the camera to a vector to each enemy. If the angle is less than foo, then display the name, otherwise hide it.

When you go to the boat selection screen it starts with an empty slot. People might think there’s a bug, so why not start on a default choice, or display a “?” for random selection.

Anyway, great game, good luck with the competition.

I don’t see any boat there. I see names, but no boats. Not any part of them. I neither see in menu, neither in gameplay - i don’t see them at all on Linux.(is it OS reading fault, do you use something like LibLoad?)

performance is great. don’t see any boats either. bomb pickup produces an incredible bunch of bombs all around the invisible boat. tested on 2.74 linux. hope you can fix it best competitor game til now

OK! Confirmed than Linux means no boats. I didn’t test it, but if you use LibLoad, it really may be faulty…

LibLoad does work on LInux, I suspect it’s a file-path issue. To join file paths together use:
os.path.join(path1, path2, path3, …)
rather than:
path1 +’’ + parth2

The slashes are different directions in windows and linux.
But then I can’t find where your libload is actually located and it isn’t spouting errors (probably eaten by a try/except)

Yeah I noticed that, it’s best not to use try/except in blender, and especially not with a pass statement.
I use it sometimes when I’m dealing with a large batch of external files, for example processing a list of images. In that case I want to print out the name of the image that didn’t work, but I want the others to be processed normally. But in Blender it’s usually better for the game to crash at the point where a problem occurs, since if it carries on running it’ll be hard to find out exactly where it went wrong.

I use LibLoad, and I use “/” for the paths ( I was a Linux user once :slight_smile: )
Oh, there`s a “” on menu.py, line 121, my bad…

To be honest, I use try/catch when I`m really done with a BUG. Usually it helps me to not get stuck on the same problem for too long.

Changing it fixes the icons in menu, but there are no boats in game still…:frowning:

Okay! I think I fixed the bugs mentioned by you guys. The new link is in the main post.
I couldn’t find any problems with the paths, I use " / " on everything. Please check if the “assets” folder is along side the .blend file …

Also, how do I put a thumbnail on my thread like the others?

OFF: Man, I’m really glad you guys liked it even with these bugs lol! :smiley:

You must just add an image to main post and there will be thumbnail generated automaticly;)

Ok. Also tell me if you guys find the easter egg :smiley:

It’s crashing on me right when I hit play after choosing a boat. I’m on 2.73. I tried going to multitexture, and starting right from the game scene.

I won, first try. :slight_smile: Nice easy game. Crashed when I hit “Play” on 2.75. But ran well on 2.74.

I can’t stop playing it. :slight_smile:

I think it’s the old version, I’ll re-DL the new version tomorrow.

Thanks guys :smiley:

The menu design and the overall game mechanics are great (along with the visuals), however when I played I kept getting infinite powerup glitches as in you hold down space and 200 bombs spawn in. Perhaps this was just blender 2.74 but the game worked well otherwise.

Didn’t have much luck with this one, 2.72 kept crashing, and when I tried 2.71, I got the infinite power up glitch

I like that the ocean actually moves and that it isn’t just an animated bump. Got the same problem as RandomPickle97 showed in the last screenshoot in 2.74, I’m sure it’s gone in 2.75.

I think I had problems seeing the boats at start, the solution for me was to put the folder on my desktop.

It’s pretty fun, would love a splitscreen mode in it.

I said that you guys should run it on 2.75, just because BGE is pretty unstable and unpredictable.
But I’m glad that everyone who played it, enjoyed it! :slight_smile: