BGMC17 Don't get wet, Rusty!

Sorry, forgot the soundfiles.
new link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61vXef2mB9NcjRZb05ZQU84NTA/view?usp=sharing

video will follow. have fun.

forgot to mention:2.74 and special thanks to smoking mirror for the waternode!

Great - another finished game. I expect to publish my game this evening about 22:00(~20:00 GTM), but may be a bit later or earlier - dependent on how fast can I do it and how much noticeable bugs I occur.

i added a rst chase logic at thewater to raise faster when rusty is too far away to keep this chased by water feeling. will patch it after the competitions end.

Wow really hard, but a great game.
Good job, runs perfectly on my computer,
good luck with the competition!

I agree Smoking_mirror - very hard. My record is 2 bounces.

just practise it. my personal highscore is over 50. when rusty jumps, dont move, just turn the mouse to see if there is a platform in range. there are allways 2 plattforms spawning so if you can see only one far away the other one is mostly right behind you. so turn, find platform and then engage thrusters.

got some ideas for later levels where you can get magnetic bombs and have to find a defuser platform before the bomb explodes

edit:64 platforms new record

I got two. :smiley: hahaha

ARG, Rusty needs some PM on his thrusters. LOL. I need to get used to these controls. Only 2 bounces so far.
Runs great on my PC. :slight_smile:

funny thing is that i reduced the amount of platforms per level from 3 to 2 because i thought, it is too easy and in the actual version the water raises 10% faster to keep this chased by water feeling. think, i will put in an indicator at the first level that shows the side to turn to the platform that is next to rusty and maybe he also gets a little higher jump. btw. when you change the window to gamelogics, choose the texteditorfile warp.py and change in the last line

obj.linearVelocity = [0.0, 0.0, 35.0]

the value 35.0 to 40.0 or 45.0 you will have more airtime to find the platform. but it won’t keep the water from raising

The problem is that I often overshoot. I expect once I get the hang of lining up first and then “pushing” rusty towards the platform it’ll be easy, but at first it’s pretty hard core. :smiley:

oh, i see what you mean but that is part of the game. it would be boring after a few platforms otherwise. lucky you that i didn’t manage to put the planned moving platforms into the game yet.

there is a lightsource in the back of rusty that will show a shadow at the platform when you are near it to better judge the height, but be aware that this is not a natural logical shadow, because it is parented to rusty.

edit:

warning! if you cahnge the jump velocity, 40.0 is way too much. better use 36.0 or 37.0

This game was also pretty fun but quite hard as I keep moving past the platforms.

try to put the mouse to the highest angle. it is 1 degree above 0 so you get a little extra upforce. i only tap the mousekey a few times, that gives more controll over the flight than aiming at the plattform and give full throttle.

when i was out with my dog i thought about rusty and i can say now that this game might be only a part of a collection of minigames that can be part of an adventure. hope that i will find the time to build it.
other levels may be a froggerlike gameplay where rusty is in a vortex and will have to jump from plattform to plattform to reach the wall and find the exit. there may also be a level, where rusty is underwater inside a bubble he created with his patented airbubblecarry2gogenerator and have to steer the bubble by blowing at it from inside. there might also be some sort of an endlessrunnerpart, where rusty has to steer a floating plattform by running to the left or to the right to keep the plattform from hitting obstacles.

That’s a good idea, making lots of small games is a good way to improve your development skills quickly. And having a character you can carry over from one adventure to the next is also a really great idea.