Steering on Physically Based Car Rig

Hey guys, I’ve been working on a car rig based on this incredible

by McGavish. But when it comes to the steering, I seem to be at a loss. I tried drivers but they don’t work during a simulation, I tried object constraints but they don’t work during a sim either. I can’t think of anything else that might work, maybe some kind of ridged body constraint?

Here is my current blend file (without any steering setup): pyisics_based_car_rig.blend (566 KB)

Thanks!

Hi! I’m glad you like my tutorial.
I found a solution of your problem. You will ask me if you have more questions. Here you have .blend file:

Attachments

pyisics_based_car_rig_OK.blend (648 KB)

Thanks for the solution, it works great! It has one problem though, when the car turns, the steering straightens out because it’s based on world space and not the local space of the car. To fix this I added a “Copy Rotation” constraint to the controller object (after the “Limit Rotation” constraint) with “Offset” checked. This rotates the controller to match the rotation of the car (in this case Cube.001) then adds the steering rotation on top of that.

Thanks for your help. I can’t wait to try this out on an actual car model :slight_smile: