My Animation progress (Criticism is appreciated)

Hi,

I’ve just started animating in the past few days and I decided to use this forum to post some of my progress through different animation exercises (I am aware that Scotchtapeworm is also doing something like this).

This is my first real animation, I’m currently in the blocking stages so I haven’t done any splining yet. I hope you enjoy looking at these animations and clips I post and hopefully it will help me get better! :smiley:

[video]https://gyazo.com/b20dabcf159b09f9b1ed937e582009ec[/video]

Please feel free to share your opinions and criticism is very much appreciated.

NOTE: This Rig isn’t mine, you can get it on Blendswap here: http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/67315

Cool! I started my thread months ago, and only recently updated it. I hope to actually keep up with mine. You do the same!

Lets see, I think you have a good start. I think for the 2 tail wags, you can combine them into 2 continuous tail wags. Make it more fluid, rather than being 2 separate movements. When hen he squashes down, try bringing up his tail, and turning the end downwards kind of like he is crouching. Then the jump itself should be slightly faster The frame right after he squashes down, and is stretched upwards, try having it not touching the ground. I’ve seen examples in ball bounces where the exact next frame is in the air. Keeping the bottom on the ground makes the bounce not look as bouncy. Have him stretch out again (just a very tiny bit) right after he hits the apex of his jump and starts to fall again. Then squash (just a bit) when he lands on the box.

Also, for the tail, have it pointing more downwards on ascension, and follow through when he starts to descend.

I look forward to seeing your progress on this!

Thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely incorporate this into the animation. I feel like my main problem with animation is timing, so I agree the jump should be quicker and bouncier. I appreciate the help :slight_smile: good luck with your animating too.

Alright, here is an animation I’ve been working on over the past week or two, the goal is to make the character Firebend. So far I have just been working on the animation therefore I don’t have any Background or fire added yet, those details will be the next stage. I just thought that I would upload this video so that I can hopefully get some critique before I finish it up with a full animation.

In case it wasn’t obvious, I hope to make him create a ball of fire in his hand.

Thanks for taking a look and all criticism is welcome :smiley:

I like the pose you have of the firebender. I also really like his arm moving along with the fire. I however think the rest of his body is too stiff. Maybe move his other shoulder a bit so the movements are like his is breathing.

did you do any other work on the tail ball jump?

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: Yeah I agree, I will try adding some more movement in the rest of his body for the final render. Also the Tail ball jump, I have been making slow progress on it, but I’ll try to work on it using the tips you gave me.

I always wanted to do an Avatar inspired animation so whenever I thought of this I just got carried away and forgot about the tail and ball animation, hopefully I can get back to work on it though.

The framing is too “Square on” . Tilt and angle the cube and floor a bit to give it a more 3D “professional effect”

Lots of people learning ART tend to show their images from the side or square on angles, --Avoid this as it will even make professional work look “beginnerish” —ANd anglinging the view will make beginner work look more pro.

Waoh, I never really thought of that, thanks a lot for the help, and I’ll make sure to follow your advice. :slight_smile: