Basic Water

I saw some nice water effects around recently, but most of them have a pretty high overhead. They use quite a lot of resources, for simply being water.

So I made a very basic material nodes setup which was inspired by @john_hamilton.

It’s nothing fancy, and it’s not intended to be transparent water, but if you need an ocean surface which isn’t going to be interacted with much, this is a nice low impact water setup which looks good from far away or up close.

Here’s the file:
Basic Water

Really nice, I guess you’ll be using it for your Battletech project?

@Smoking_mirror,

Thank you so much to share your job!
A top-notch water!
Byebye

id like to see if but ive never been able to download a file from mediafire. And ive tried on IE, chrome and firefox and they have never worked. Anychance you can host it somewhere Else?

Hi! Great new ressource for ocean surface effect! Congrats.

Hmmm I’ve never had any problems with it.
It’s here on Google docs if that helps.

I’ve also added a subtle UV scroll effect to give it more variation, you can remove the logic bricks if you don’t want the effect.

Hah… 0.03 ms GPU latency - record through all the .blends:)

I have and idea take all the water shaders around and post it in one resource after BGMC for easy access. Would you mind if I add this to it(OK! I can start right now)?

Looks Fantastic Nice job

Yes, I designed it for fast performance, it’s the quickest, nicest water I can make. ^^
I’m fine with whatever you want to do with it, so if you wanna put it in a pack or include a link in a compilation thread that’s fine.

I actually had the idea for this one while playing sports resort on the Wii with my eldest son. The water looks really nice, but still kind of cartoony.

Yes, its water ( a light nice one)!
Thank you for sharing!
Bye

Nice work!!very use full friendly framerate water,Thanks!!

The touch of green, just my taste, looks really beautiful!

how can i make it little transparent?

In material settings enable Z-Transparency(under Render Pipeline options), than in node editor reduce alpha for the output node and it will become transparent.

You can switch to cycles, add fresnel node and switch back to BGE and use fresnel node as input for the alpha of output. I am not sure if you have to or not have to invert the fresnel, but if you do, add Math | Subtract | 1 - fresnel and plug that into alpha in case if blank fresnel outputs wrong results.