Can you have an animated character with active collison?

Hello, Blender Artists.
I have a rig that has two objects parented to it. One is a badly modeled human with the collision modifier while the other is a badly modeled coat with the cloth modifier that the human “wears”. Whenever I animate the human, parts of the human mesh can go through the coat. How can I make sure that the coat can’t be gone through by the human? I haven’t tried rigid body, but after reading posts I assume that cloth and rigid body don’t work well.

I am also pretty new to blender, so please pass by my ignorance. =P

Thanks.

I think you need to add a collision (Physics tab) to your Human Model.
For coat, Try to use “PIN” method of Cloth simulation to attach your coat with the model.

Here is the process.

Add Collision to your Human Model.
Create Vertex Groups (Object Data Tab - little triangle) In Vertex group tab, create two groups. Name One Pinned, Other Unpinned. Select the top vertices of coat, Like Collar, Shoulders Sleeves and add them to Pinned one.
Remaining should go to Unpinned.

Add cloth simulation.
in “CLOTH” select pin, and The box below it select “PINNED” vertex group.

Do you animation and you will see that your cloth is moving without going throug your model (try to give more poly to yoru coat for smooth animation)

Thanks for replying! I did everything you said- I think. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, the coat won’t follow the rig. I uploaded the file to pasteall, maybe you could tell me what I’m doing wrong.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/37553

Thank you very much for replying. =)

First fix the geometry. Remove doubles (tools panel on left, hit ‘t’), and recalculate the normals (edit mode, all vets, ctrl n). You should also work on the topology in general.

The order of the stack on the coat should be. Use the up an down arrows in the modifiers to move them.
armature
cloth
subsurf

rebake the cloth sim, and experiment with pinning. You have enabled pinning but did not specify a vertex group.