Panzer IV Tank - Modeling Thread

Current Progress:

Hey Everyone!

I started modeling a Panzer IV a few days ago, and I though I might as well start a thread here. I spent a fair amount of time getting the blocking right and now I’m working on adding important details.

Here’s the blocking:

Thanks for your taking interest!

Attachments

Here’s where I am currently. The tracks are just a place holder. I’m hoping to model the more detailed tracks later. They are going to be the toughness topology on the model I’m pretty sure.

I also installed the OpenGL lights add-on. Which is a little faster than using a Matcap. Which can slow down the viewport a tiny bit.

Last bit of progress for tonight. I modeled the drive wheel and worked on a few other minor things. Also added some welding to the major pieces. If I can get a normal map to look right, I’ll add welds to all the parts.

More progress, I modeled the back wheel and added some of the front panels.

First thing I see is the smoothness and It makes me feel strange.:eyebrowlift2: If you look at Wirbelwind - on the Pz IV base, the body is constructed differently. Especialy it looks like if it was from one piece. Here I marked some details which are supposed to be the same on Pz IV. These are really visible details and it adds realisticness into your work.
Otherwise!
The wheels seem to be realistic and very well made, the turret also, just the front of the body makes me feel weird.
Look forward on seeing next progress.

Thanks for the input, I reworked the body base since it had some pretty bad topology, and I sharpened the edges a lot. Also I plan on changing the fenders when I detail them to be more accurate.

Not a lot of progress today, But I did upload the model to Sketchfab for anyone who wants a closer look:

I haven’t been able to work on this a lot the last two days, I’ve been busy learning Unity 5 for a game project I’m involved in. But I did get some work done on the rear section and fixed the things I pointed out in the Sketchfab annotations above.

Not a big visual update today. I reworked a lot of the body topology. It’s now 100% quads.

Also, I spend what felt like hours searching for references for behind the drive wheel. I finally found one or two that allowed me to model it. I still need to add the bolts and things.

I’m hoping to start working on this more and finish it up. I’m still learning Unity and now I’ve got school too.

Tracks! I finally got around to making some better tracks. I’m going ot try to get the front finished so I can move on to finishing the back half of the tank. So stay tuned!

More progress. I redid the drive wheel to fit the tracks better. A few other details as well.

Here’s a shot of the unfinished back, It’s pretty easy stuff I think, just takes time.

Here’s a clay render :slight_smile:

Hi! Looking very good so far. Are you going to texture it?

Thanks. I’m not sure yet, but I’m thinking about doing at least some basic decals. I’m not the best at making texture maps.

By the way, your T-55 model is great!